Waiter, there's a fly in my... 'forge?

Thought I’d share…

Just started a 1-hour job. And as I’m watching I notice… a fly got trapped when I closed the lid! Not the first time I’ve had an insect attracted to the Glowforge lights, but the first time they didn’t get out in time!

Anybody know the proper settings to engrave a fly?

12 Likes

I have a beetle I’ve been waiting to engrave. The problem is that it’s super lightweight and fragile. Adhesives seem like they’d retake the legs off. Air assist will blow it away. I’m a bit stumped.

7 Likes

What if you made a cardboard jig that slipped over it to hold it in place? Two layers, with the bottom layers accommodating the legs and the top layer more snug to the carapace?

4 Likes

Boys are very strange.

I’m going to just sit here and enjoy my fluffy warm gingerbread, gently glazed with butter. Mmmmmmmmmm. :wink:

11 Likes

Yeah I considered that, but the main issue is I have one shot at it so I’ve been letting the ideas percolate. His legs are pretty delicate.

One thing I’ve considered is firmly mounting him on a background as he would be displayed later. Then I can hold the mounted surface down. With proper jigging I can get it aligned dead on.

We’ll see if I get around to it.

2 Likes

I’m sorry couldn’t resist

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5zus8ktvlq9bpqq/round%20Tuit.svg?dl=0

4 Likes

Wings or body?

3 Likes

Mmmmm is right. I LOVE gingerbread. And, since I’m seeing you do this many times over…how the heck do you shrink your text to such a small size? I’ve tried doing it and it’s either top secret or something…

1 Like

You type this…(without the spaces) to actually make the text small:

< small > text </ small>

1 Like

I’m thinking maybe hot glue? Then I could just re-heat the glue to remove the bulk of it, then some sort of wick for the little bit remaining.

Oh! I hadn’t thought about doing the wings. That’s a great idea! Okay… That’ll have to be the next project I think.

1 Like

I didn’t know about < small >, I usually used < sub >. Fun Fact, you can use more then one to make it even smaller.

5 small commands get you this!
Test

Hey, < big > works, too!

5 big commands gets you this!

I guess these don’t stack. :cry:
Test

3 Likes

I usually use < large >. Same thing.

2 Likes

I have found a spiderweb in the forge. I guess I should have a mesh screen where it vents outside…

you mean like this ?

Wow…that’s a lot of keys to use.
might be worth the time once in a while…

Can’t seem to get myself back in control here…:grin:

4 Likes

“Help me!”

3 Likes

Yeah, Martha! That’s it! But, maybe more like … “help me!”

2 Likes

The metallic green “June bug” has been used for centuries upside down and without the legs for its amazing effects. I would think that the Glowforge could put a new spin on that,

That’s exactly what kind of bug he is. Weird coincidence.

In that case just cutting up the parts to use as color on one of your small boxes could be just the thing!

1 Like

Whatever you do, do not try engraving a stinkbug.

or one of those little glass “fart bomb” vials…

4 Likes