Wall art - Kansas City Chiefs

This thread has a serious Chicago Bears deficiency… I prescribe Da Bears.

2 Likes

What a game last night. Wow.

4 Likes

Very cool! My husband gets his lathe tomorrow so i’m anxious to see what all he can do with it…in time:-)

2 Likes

What was it? 4 lead changes in the last two minutes to go to overtime and then a march downfield for a TD? Probably the best final quarter and OT to any game I’ve ever seen.

1 Like

I think the most important thing he can do is get a lesson with a pro-turner if he’s new to it. Help him get good habits before he develops bad ones on his own. Also be aware the best way to become a millionaire wood turner is to start out with $2 million. There are lots of add on accessories, one of the most important will be his sharpening set up.

1 Like

He has watched a seasoned turner in the past but that’s a great idea and one he would relish. And, i get the millionaire turner:-) He has a lot of tools already but not sure about the sharpening-although he sharpens his own chainsaw, etc. i think he has a grinder set up, but i’ll let him determine what all he needs. Then, he can make me some cool stuff!

1 Like

I binge watch woodturning videos sometimes. It irks me that only a few show the sharpening sequence…it must happen often during the turning process to prevent chips, tears, etc. Just like in gardening, sharp tools are the difference between fun and a chore.

That’s a gorgeous plaque; what a nice way to put both tools to work. The finish on that piece is great.

3 Likes

I made a Bears (and Cubs) sign, but I didn’t take a picture.

2 Likes

That silly game about did me in.

5 Likes

Not if you use modern tool steel (high speed steel) tools.

It can go an awful long time cutting steel, wood is like butter.

They also make carbide tools (for wood turning) - they would likely last a lifetime.

Now the cheap stuff, yes, they would need to be sharpened often.

1 Like

If he’s already got a grinder there are several jigs to chose from to sharpen his woodturning tools. It’s really amazing to see how much wood the edge of a gouge is exposed to in turning. A while back I calculated it out and in the matter of a few minutes the edge can cut miles of wood, radiuspirotations per minute the distance gets up there fast when you’re turning at 800-1000 revs on a bowl.

2 Likes

It’s true that modern tool steel helps, but you’re talking about miles of wood in a matter of minutes so even the modern stuff needs sharpening pretty often. Carbide tools are more like scrapers and scrape at the wood, not cut it, and even they go blunt, they DO NOT last a lifetime. They sell replacement tips for the carbides for when they do go blunt, but like i said, they scrape, not cut the wood. Kelley1, there’s a youtuber, Martin Saban-Smith who had a really good video on sharpening using his tool of choice, the Sorby pro-edge. I highly recommend it.

1 Like

Thanks, he does have a grinder. I’ll have him watch that video as well. I gave him his gift last night. He’s excited to brush up on skills. He did point out to me he has made a couple of tables with turned legs, some lamps, etc. when we got married so I guess he has a bit more experience than i gave him credit for although he says he will need to review a lot to get up to speed.
I ended up with the Jet1221 lathe and a ‘decent’ set of tools although not the $500 ones!

1 Like

I’ve only been serious about the hobby for 2 years now, but if your husband wants to talk about anything I’m happy to chat. Also have a list of youtubers that I watch that I could share as well if he’s interested. I think youtube is great for inspiration, not instruction necessarily, but there’s lots out there for good ideas on how to get started with smaller projects.

I actually yelled at my TV a couple times in that last 2 minutes of the 4th quarter. And I generally don’t yell at or talk to inanimate objects. People tend to think you are crazy when you do that. Only one other time I can remember yelling at the TV… The series finale of Angel… But that’s another story for another time. That game was INSANE. It was like watching two Tom Brady’s in a shootout but without all the crying at the end. :rofl:

4 Likes

Tbf, “lie to me” and “I’ve always wanted to kill a dragon.” were the best from that episode to me.

….I may or may not have all seasons of both Buffy and angel on dvd…and stargate:sg1…and most of Hercules….and won’t even start on the 90s dc animated shows I own…

1 Like

Thanks, I may take you up on that!! He watches lots of youtube :roll_eyes:

:joy:

At least it’s the same sport — we’re more of a NASCAR house — so would be even stranger for us. My mom may disinherit me for that statement; she is major Chiefs fan even though she moved from the area. :wink: Gorgeous work though!