Wall art - Kansas City Chiefs

One of my hobbies is woodturning and I decided to make some wall art featuring my hometown football team the KC Chiefs.

I turned an 11" disk, then moved off center to create some different levels to the piece and add some interest.

Once fully turned and sanded I put the piece in my glowforge to score the design.

I went back and dye’d the wood and used a pyrography pen to add some texture.

I’m very happy with the way it turned out.

37 Likes

Very nice merging the two tool capabilities together. Really like your design too.

8 Likes

That turned (see what I did there) out really nice!

9 Likes

Wow, nicely done!

6 Likes

Welcome back to the forum! It’s wonderful, and I love seeing projects using different tools and techniques. Look forward to seeing your other projects. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

This is beautiful. I love the stains you used and the texture you added takes it up to another level. I had to look up “pyrography pen”. It appears it must be like my little woodturning tool, but probably with more sophisticated tips. I just never heard that name. Thanks for sharing and inspiring us.

6 Likes

This looks great! AND, I’m a Missouri gal and KC Chiefs is our team:-). When you say ‘woodturning’ are you talking about a lathe? I just bought my husband one for his birthday next week.

4 Likes

Welcome back. That is really a cool design. There are several of us Chief loving Missourians here and I thinks we should all share our KC wall art (not trying to hijack your post though). Here is one of mine that has been really popular with my friends as gifts.

4 Likes

That is a beaut! Nice work! The lathe must be next on my list!

3 Likes

This one was awesome!

3 Likes

I’m conflicted here. I want to click Like for your fabulous work, but… I’m a Broncos fan. :joy:

3 Likes

Nice design!

2 Likes

Beautifully done!

2 Likes

Looks great!

1 Like

Nice design and nice turning.

2 Likes

That’s the beauty of not having one favorite team! You can click all the likes you want.

3 Likes

A beautiful job!!!

3 Likes

I will pray for you daily. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Two of my best friends are Broncos fans as well and I made each of them one of these.

7 Likes

Nice!!

2 Likes

Yes, I turned this on a wood lathe. The piece is 11" across, and I turned it by mounting the wood on a faceplate on 3 different centers. One center in the very middle to get the overall shape, then one offset by a few inches to turn the small yellow circle, then remounted it in between those 2 centers to get the large “chiefs” circle. Then when all the laser, burning and coloring was done, I remounted it on the original center to cut the very outside detail.

2 Likes