Walnut, Acrylic and Standoffs

I used to hand paint and design a lot of wood signs, then my spine started to fuse and I had to come up with a better way of creating!! Thankful for Glowforge and what I can do now! I didn’t design this file, had to find one on Etsy for a quick gift. Now I’m off to convert all my files for GF - totally love these!

41 Likes

I love how the materials and media work together elegantly in this sign.

4 Likes

At first I thought the verse was on the wood behind the acrylic. But from the photos it looks like the verse is on the back of the acrylic and “love” is on the front.

Very beautiful!

6 Likes

This is great! I’m also curious about your process. As @bill.m.davis mentioned, did you engrave on both sides of the acrylic?

I look forward to seeing more of your work.

4 Likes

Agreed with @bill.m.davis, engraving on the front and back (mirrored I presume) of the acrylic is a really nice touch!

Also love the standoffs, very elegant!

4 Likes

It look like green-glass acrylic, not mirrored. But I bet this method would be awesome with mirrored also!

4 Likes

Oh, I meant that you have to mirror the engraving on the back in order for it to read correctly on the front.

Actually now that I’m looking even closer… is it two layers of acrylic?

3 Likes

I was actually wondering the same thing. From the side it could be two layers of acrylic, but it could just be one think layer.

Edit: At first I thought “love” was in front, but looking at it again I clearly see that love is behind the verse from how it moves in the angled shots.

3 Likes

Thank you, I always engrave it on the backside and then keep the front smooth so it shadows on the wood in certain lights.

4 Likes

This is beautiful!

5 Likes

I hadn’t seen the acrylic spaced out over the wood before. That looks awesome!

2 Likes

Lovely!

3 Likes

Thank you everyone - I used 1/4inch cherry for the backer, engraved thick green glass acrylic (I always engrave on the back - it makes it easier to clean this way). Then used stand offs and cut the “love” from acrylic I had handy.

I’ll be updating some sign files I made when I made hand painted wood signs - just need to clean up some of them and make sure they are laser friendly.

4 Likes

A lovely piece and lovelier sentiment.

4 Likes

Very professional work. Just beautiful!

2 Likes

This looks so very nice! Are those metal pieces called standoffs?

1 Like

Thank you so much, and yes, they are standoffs.

1 Like

Nicely done. Looks great!

1 Like