Walnut and acrylic earrings

I’m sure I’ve seen this type of earring shared here before, but I wanted to take a stab at them. I used walnut hardwood for the top half and clear acrylic for the bottom, and I used a simple leaf engrave in the acrylic.

Apologies if the photo’s a bit dark - it was taken after midnight and the lighting in my house is terrible.

60 Likes

Looks awesome, good work.

2 Likes

Great design!!! So unique. Great job!

2 Likes

Nice combination!

2 Likes

Love them!

2 Likes

I love it. Simple, but very nice. I will try a similar version! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Came out great. I would have glued them together so I like your approach better.
One thing I was told was if you are not going to tie the hook directly to the piece you need two loops, else the earring does not float like it should, and I have corrected a few that were not done in this manner.
So apparently, from those who wear them, the earring hook should be perpendicular to the face of the earring.

Yours look like they are matched to hang correctly with one loop. This begs me to ask, do you 90 degree the loop on the bottom of the hook, or are there hooks out there I have never seen with the loop set 90 degree?

4 Likes

Nice design! I love the articulation from using the jump rings to connect them.

Could be interesting to have a design that you reverse the order & the dark/opaque material would appear to float below the ear… (oh, I may have to try that myself!).

2 Likes

what might actually be cool is to have a single finger joint (or maybe two smaller ones) and glue, which would make them a little more stable than just glue. and you could potentially integrate it into the design. or use some of the more innovative butt joints.

1 Like

Yep, I twisted that puppy! You do have to be careful with that because it can distort the loop if you get a bit too vigorous with the twist - it took me a few attempts on other earrings to realize that. :wink:

3 Likes

Along the same lines. I have been told that the double loops dangle around a lot more.
Where there is the option, I have been asking if they like the dangling earrings or the ones that hang firm (as in hook right to earring).

Dangling seems to be the winner. Not sure why. I do not wear jewelry and would think that was annoying. Maybe just because they catch the eye better bouncing around? dunno…

3 Likes

Very nice combo! These look great.

1 Like

There are hooks with the 90 degree offset, though they are rare…I never seem to have them around, so just use pliers to twist the loop. Most metals only take so much manipulation, so a gentle touch is needed. There are also earring hooks with a straight shank, so you can position the loop as you like…

90 degree offset hooks: https://www.firemountaingems.com/itemdetails/h20a7406fn

Straight shank hooks: https://www.firemountaingems.com/itemdetails/h201447fn

1 Like

I think it’s a case of movement drawing the eye–if your earrings have articulation and thus more movement, they are noticed… Also, some have elements such as mirror or crystal that will catch and redirect light–if they move a bit, they catch the eye.

2 Likes

Stiff to the ear is annoying because if you brush it on anything, it has no give and tugs on your earlobe.

That said, I prefer one ring, if possible, as two does feel “too dangly” to me. That’s just one opinion, though. There’s no right answer to this one other than having it hang so people can see it!

2 Likes

All of the earrings I make and sell are of the dangle variety. I personally wear hoops and simple diamond stud earrings, and what I wear has to be 10K gold minimum - other metals cause irritation (even the nickel free varieties), so I cannot really wear what I make.

1 Like

I’ve never been a fan of having more than one jump ring attached to the ear wire - seems like overkill to me. I’m working on improvements to the prototype so the drop will be a tiny bit smaller.

2 Likes

Love the use of mixed materials. It gives it a great look!

2 Likes

I think I’m gonna try this, but maybe with a YinYang design. Black and clear acrylic, or black and white, maybe? These are wonderful!

2 Likes

These are wonderful. The use of mixed materials is striking