Walnut Fruit bowl

I made this fruit bowl this week. I used a 6" x 36" x 1/4" piece of solid walnut, cut it in half and butt joined the two pieces with Titebond white glue to form the 12" X 18" size I needed. As you can see the whole bowl is made from a single sheet of wood (note the few mistakes in the laser pattern I had to fix on this version). Each layer is glued to the last with a slight 5 degree rotation. This allows the layer to rest on the rotated wood from the previous layer, forming an interesting 3D shape. I scored lines on the surface with the laser to indicate proper alignment of the next layer to be glued (hard to see). the final design was sprayed with clear Varathane varnish from a spray can. that also has the advantage of sealing the black charring on the edges so it doesn’t rub off. I plan to do a whole series of these with different shapes. The design was done in SolidWorks.

I am wondering if there might be a market for the flat “kit” of cut wood to allow folks to build their own…

Matt

48 Likes

So cool, I think people do love DIY project sets but dang, that 5 degree turn will be a challenge for many. But I’m sure you can figure out the balance of “cool” and “doable by the average family”

7 Likes

Great looking.

Keep Creating

6 Likes

This turned out beautiful!

9 Likes

It is a beautiful bowl.

9 Likes

Neat. Thanks for sharing.

Sorry no input on market, I don’t understand the things that are popular and don’t understand why the cool things aren’t popular :crazy_face:

17 Likes

That looks amazing!!!

6 Likes

Actually, the position of the next layer is engraved on the previous layer, so they just have to align the edges to the markings. Easy.

Matt

10 Likes

Maybe hide an engraved layer number on each for a paint-by-numbers layer order assembly guide and you have a winner

4 Likes

This looks really nice. It’s giving me a bit of an optical illusion on the edge closest to me, my brain keeps switching from going up to down. The scoring will make it much easier to put together. I’ve done one with 2 shapes of varying size (scroll saw bowls were what I was trying to mimic), and yours looks alot less stressful to line up.

9 Likes

That’s lovely! Thanks for showing us your work.

6 Likes

What a beautiful bowl!

6 Likes

Nice project and great inspiration. Varathane to seal the edges…good idea. I have a few projects that I would have like to have the edge soot sealed.

7 Likes

I missed you saying that in your original post, that was one fact too many for my brain with all the other cool ideas in there.

3 Likes

That looks really nice! Only one way to see if it’s marketable, and that’s to try to sell one. I’m not much help there, as I agree with @Thumper369 - some things I thought were super cool haven’t sold, and things I didn’t think would sell, did. Just can never tell, but it’s certainly worth a shot.

5 Likes

Your bowl has a beautiful shape! Well done, and great thinking on making alignment easy.

1 Like