Walnut Wine Rack - Draftboard Template

I’ve needed a wine rack for the bar cart for some time now. My wife found a design she liked at Williams Sonoma, but it only held 4 bottles. I whipped up a quick 3D model in Sketchup for size and proportions, and then made the 2D template in Affinity Designer.

I cut the template from draftboard, and it matched 1/3 of the walnut panel one to one for easy alignment. I used the template first to trace where to make my rough cuts with the jigsaw. Next I attached the template to the panels with double-sided tape, and used a template bit on my router to cut perfect circles. Finally, I used the template to mark our the position of the 1/4" maple dowels. The piece was finished in boiled linseed oil and wax.

This was the first time I’ve worked with solid walnut, and the first time I used the router to make multiple parts from a template. Definitely made a lot of mistakes along the way, but learned a ton. Looking forward to using the Glowforge to make more complex templates in the future and open up new designs!

33 Likes

Turned out great! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

That came out beautifully!

1 Like

Now that is a thing of beauty, and a making a template to cut the thicker wood with other tools is a fantastic practical cut!

2 Likes

The walnut really makes the project . Beautiful job.

2 Likes

Boy, that came out really nice! I like that you used your Glowforge tool to make a tool.

3 Likes

What beautiful wood! Enjoyed your write-up. I need to do more with the router.

3 Likes

really nice.