Warning to all the "makers" out there

Then we will need a warning about the glue toxicity and the choking hazard should the tag come free. I think the secondary warning should be lasered on. Gonna need a bigger pass through :wink:

6 Likes

ā€œDo Not Eatā€ :no_mouth:

8 Likes

ā€œThink of it as evolution in actionā€ ā€“ Larry Niven, Oath of Fealty (1982)

7 Likes

The trick is figuring out how to avoid the unneeded warnings while still making sure that manufacturers include the ones they really ought to. And updating it with changes in consumer knowledge. (My grandfather, Iā€™m told, lost a liability case involving his failure to warn customers not to use his newfangled heat lamp while in the bathā€¦)

3 Likes

And loss of knowledge.

My daughter is a freshman at Elon and was the only one in her chemistry class who new about botulism or that swollen cans of food were likely tainted and thus unsafe to eat. I was appalled.

But thinking about it, I donā€™t recall the last swollen can Iā€™ve seen. Grocery stores turn over stock much faster now, the canning technology has improved and people are sensitive to sell by/use by dates so cans donā€™t hang around to be used long after they should (although properly canned food is good almost indefinitely if the can remains intact).

And if youā€™re not a parent who was warned of the danger of botulism and honey when you had kids, you might never encounter a botulism warning or exposure. So something everyone knew 60 years ago is getting to be something new to almost everyone.

8 Likes

16 Likes

Reminds me of @aeva telling her Mother to stay out of the garage because of the poison gas.

:no_mouth: <Mother

6 Likes

among the really dumb things I have survived, as a kid we would take a drinking straw, push it onto the lead end of a 22 short and throw it high into the air, when it came down it would fall bottom first, about 1 in 20 would go off! Now I always wonder where all those bullets landed:-(

4 Likes

But itā€™s in California, the rest of us non-hippies wonā€™t get cancer. :upside_down:

Iā€™ve seen these stickers starting to pop up everywhere. Was there some sort of new law passed in the US over this, or is Cali such a large market, they just slap them on everything, but just intend them for Cali?

3 Likes

Nickā€™s donā€™t cause cancer, so the lawsuits arenā€™t as expensiveā€¦

2 Likes

Prop 65 in California. Strong correlation of nasal and sinus cancer with exposure to wood dust. Although they forgot the warning about loose staples on wood stabbing you and causing lock jaw. Keep your tetanus updated.

Wonder if Glowforge has to comply.

6 Likes

Well I guess Iā€™ll be wearing a mask more often nowā€¦ Good to know all my walnut, oak, and MDF boogers (at different times) over the years are worse then my brother-in-law smoking habit.

4 Likes

California is a pretty huge market. Remember that we have a GDP of $2.44 Trillion.
Label/license/whatever a product for sale in California, and it can pretty much be sold/pass inspection in any other state. In a lot of cases it is easier/cheaper to mark everything than to have separate labeling/shipping, especially now in the days of internet ordering and consolidated warehouse shipment/fulfillment centers.

8 Likes