Warping Paddle for Weaving

Before you can weave, you have to ‘dress’ the loom. An important part is winding a warp. The warp thread/yarns are the lengthwise element in weaving. If you are following a specific pattern, you often use a warping paddle to keep the colors in order.

The two commercial paddles I have don’t fit my hands very well. I thought about how I would make my own…here are the results (this is my 2nd build. The first one’s handle was shorter.)

Made vs Commercial

Wooden toothpicks are my alignment device of choice.

The all-important ‘cross’.

How the slots & holes work to organize the yarns.

This one is made from 1/8" acrylic and 1/4" baltic birch. After sanding I used the wax/mineral oil on the wood. Next one will use a less-garish color for the guide part; I was using scrap and I like Bling!

I’ll be posting tools like this on my Etsy site, as soon as I get my courage up.

37 Likes

Go for it on Etsy! There are weavers out there that need this. They just don’t know it yet.

4 Likes

I approve of your use of neon green acrylic. One of my favorites!

8 Likes

I’m with Tim, neon Green is the best for so many things.
Not a weaver but good job.

4 Likes

Weaving is something on my to-do list. Haven’t really started it yet. I had my husband make me a large, simple loom that I plan on weaving some handmade t-shirt yarn into rugs on. Someday I hope to learn how to do real weaving. When I do, I’ll be sure to hit your Etsy shop!

2 Likes

These make great rugs. You don’t have to finish the edges of your strips, either; they don’t fray, and you know you are keeping things out of the landfill.

Excellent practical cut!

2 Likes

I just learnt a whole load of new things, I second everyone who loves the neon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks! Much as I love the screaming “Look at me!” effect, I’m going to make production models with more subdued colors. You’ve got to be able to see your thread colors when you are threading the paddle. The example I show above was literally dazzling.

2 Likes

Another awesome tool from you!

2 Likes

Thanks for the info on not finishing the edges. I started making my own t-shirt yarn when I saw the prices they wanted for it at the store. Youch! I bought a ton of t-shirts at a yard sale for 1/8 the cost of one roll of yarn from the store! Plus it’s fun to make!

2 Likes

Just to inspire you:

This is a weave structure called Krogbragd. Only the front face carries the pattern. It makes a dense fabric suitable for rugs or chair pads, using t-shirt strips about 1.25" wide.

In this weave structure using traditional wool, it takes 4–6 picks (weft passes) to develop any column of pattern. With the t-shirt fabric, it takes only one pass to create the same pattern. Tug on the length of the strip to make the edges curl in before weaving.

[Note: this is not compatible with the warping paddle.}

6 Likes

Beautiful!! The one I started is very simple - gray with white stripes. Haven’t gotten very far at all on it. I got interrupted by this thing called “Glowforge.” :wink:

1 Like

Making a tool or practical cut is always great to see!! Excellent work.

1 Like

Such a great practical cut! As always, you make amazing things!

4 Likes

and @ptodd Thank you!

2 Likes