Was there a Glowforge update?

Wasn’t there a update lately and it said something about speeding up engraving? Where woiuld I find that info if so ?

Look on the right hand side of the app screen for recent announcements. (You might have to scroll down a little.)

1 Like

There was an update quite some time ago about increased engrave speeds. There was another announcement more recently that stated the increased engrave speeds would not apply to all engraves, only raster engraves. All updates are announced in the Announcement section of the forum.

May I ask what a raster engrave is? The one I am trying to do is just a 5 inch circle to cut and then inside the circle is two months in a script font which i want engraved but it takes 12 minutes?

I am looking through announcements but where do i find about how to increase the speed?

12 minutes sounds reasonable depending on the size, speed and lpi you have selected.

To increase the speed of your engrave, you click on the engrave on the left side of the interface. The defaul (or current) settings will appear. You can choose to manually change the speed, power and lpi.

1 Like

Raster vs vector: The main difference between vector and raster graphics is that raster graphics are composed of pixels, while vector graphics are composed of paths. A raster graphic, such as a gif or jpeg, is an array of pixels of various colors, which together form an image.

2 Likes

Can I make my image a raster? Sorry I am not computer savvy. I created the file in adobe and not sure if I can just save it as a jpg then instead?

adobe is a company and not a product. I assume you created a vector in illustrator. In illustrator you can select your object and go to the object menu and choose rasterize to convert it to a raster. Or you can load it into photoshop and save as raster as well.

2 Likes

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/key-concepts/raster-vector.html

1 Like

There is a getting started tutorial here that explains a lot of the terms that you will run across and how they work in the Glowforge. Might be worth a quick read:

(Just helps with learning the language and makes it easier to make the machine do what you want it to do.) :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

It’s great to see that you’ve already received some excellent advice and guidance from our other community members. Thanks folks! I’ll be moving this to the Everything Else section of the forum so the discussion can continue.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.