Washington State crayon art

I was trying to play around and create something different with my GF. I ended up cutting out on my pro model a stencil of WA state with an evergreen tree in there, then glueing some color crayons on the canvas, then using a heat gun to make the crayons melt, then you carefully take the stencil off after its has cooled down. Then you can clean up the edges if need to be!

Please follow me if you’ve instagram @mind_the_craft

18 Likes

Cool technique :sunglasses: and nice work!

1 Like

Thanks PrintTOLaser!

1 Like

That is a really cool technique! (One caution though…that looks like vinyl, and most vinyl is not safe to cut with a laser. If it is vinyl, I wouldn’t do any more of it, and you might want to clean the interior of the machine very thoroughly to keep it from corroding the metal parts.)

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up Jules. I actually was aware that this is vinyl, I’m going to try cutting out of 3M veneer next. Do you think that is a good choice with the stickiness on the 3M?

Also a side note, I just cleaned my Pro model about 5 minutes for the first time! Its all clean now.

The 3M adhesive is REALLY strong, but it should work okay on a canvas. That should allow you to remove it.

That’s what I need! To be able to pull it off with crayons all over it.

1 Like

veneer is kinda pricy to use as a a disposable stencil material… I would look at polyurethane or polyethylene adhesive-backed stencil material, such as this stuff:

Don’t do that. Vinyl bad.

2 Likes

That’s the stuff I need huh? Right on man! Thanks for showing me that!

I have not used that particular product, but linked to it because US Cutter sells direct to the public. The very similar stuff I have used came from a trade-only supply house.
Mind you, raw or factory-primed canvas is a difficult substrate to adhere stuff to. Priming with gesso or mod-podge might give you a smoother, less porous surface to work on, and could help keep edges from lifting.

What an interesting method of art work.

1 Like

Thank you!