Waste not want not

way back in 2012 I was probably compensating for kerf width to make sure they all fit snuggly, now I realise 0.1mm is nothing and I don’t bother.
They’re all aligned vertically to have the wood grain match in the right directions.

5 Likes

Is it supposed to look like a horse head…looks like one to me…is all I’m saying.

1 Like

Nothing intended. Just what resulted from tiling with the pieces I have so far.

2 Likes

Get enough fish to cover the whole table, cut around the edges, add some finish… and you have one heck of a new tabletop.

7 Likes

They do make awesome table tops, each lizard in this pattern is unique.

34 Likes

I think I’m going to have to cut some Penrose tiles. But which type should I make, the kites and darts or the rhombuses? Or Penrose Chickens? :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Now that is just stunning! Just like all your work!

1 Like

Love the colors! :relaxed:

2 Likes

That’s gorgeous! I’m big fan of IKEA hacking, and this is the nicest I’ve seen.

3 Likes

I updated the file to turn the inside detail of the fish into closed path vector fills that can be engraved. This allows you to have the detail appear correct in the engrave and also to rotate the fish however you wish to match the scrap of wood. That is all.

22 Likes

Oooooo, thanks!

1 Like

I am up to six variants now. Some more useful than others. My granddaughter has a box and I have a growing box.

A cool thing I had not considered for adult Glowforge owners is that these make a great tactile way to work out cool slotted things you want to build for keeps like lamps and such.

3 Likes

these are exactly what I was hoping to make some cutting boards once I have a laser

Is there any copyright problems copying Esther designs and selling them?

1 Like

All works by M.C. Escher are copyrighted.
International Copyright laws protect all of the work of M.C. Escher, as well as his spoken and written words. Any reproduction of his work, including downloading, is prohibited without the express written permission of The M.C. Escher Company, B.V.

http://www.mcescher.com/licensing

4 Likes

Definitely making something like this very soon! Great idea :slight_smile:

Wow, I didn’t realize Escher was so (relatively) recent. He’ll still be in copyright (depending on country) until 2022-2062.

Making your own tessellations is not out of reach.
http://www.tessellations.org/

15 Likes

Thanks for the link. That was what thinking. Why copy when you can do your own in the style of. I want to explore Penrose squares as well.

5 Likes

I started cutting these fish from scraps. I’m really, really enjoying them.

The draftboard ones I’m letting people color with markers. The maple are too pretty as is :slight_smile: I haven’t had any other material scraps yet.

2 Likes