Way to export sketch to inkscape for svg

if theres a way to export sketch from fusion 360 to inkscape
I tried exporting as a dxf but only a line in a half comes out

can you pdf? I never use Inkscape anymore from SolidWorks

1 Like

Would it work in glowforge. If its PDF ? ( rookie question )

1 Like

oh yes, I use nothing else

1 Like

Try a minimal (like eighth or quarter inch) extrude and then select the surface you want.

3 Likes

Dude thats awesome !! Thanks man totally work
Really appreciate it

2 Likes

Glad it works. I had hopes that we would get the promised DXF import into the GUI, but now I never even think of it anymore. PDF for the win.

I usually extrude my sketch and make a drawing being careful to do it a 1:1 scale & save my drawing line work as pdf. I also change my line colours and do any fills for engraves within the drawing enviroment. Those colours work just fine in PDF also.

1 Like

If you want to make your life easier in the future forget about export from sketches unless there is a very good reason.
Instead, install the shaper origin plug in and go straight from face to SVG.

5 Likes

Hi @markevans36301, can Fusion360 export to .svg?

The Shaper Origin plug-in exports SVG from within Fusion360

1 Like

Are there splines in the design? Those will not export into DXF files, because the DXF format does not support them.

1 Like

OK, information filed. I looked at Fusion 360 when I came out.

Not directly but this plug in works great. Just go to the Fusion 360 store and download it. It is free and written for a cnc router I have.

3 Likes

I remember when Fusion360 came out. I think it was free back then, and looked interesting. As I had already been using SW for 15 years I just couldn’t think of a good reason to switch. Still not sorry I didn’t. All the 3D CAD packages have good points and bad points, and in some ways are very similar. In the industry I work in SW is the Autocad of 3D modelling, and .STEP and .IGES even let you play with the big boys ie. Catia and the like.

There’s plugin that will export splines via conversion to PolyLines. It works pretty well, except I’ve found I need to reopen the resultant DXF and then save again to DXF using the normal save to DXF command, which is weird. But, it got the job done.

2 Likes

I was “forced” to switch when they discontinued the 123D products. A lot of people were not happy with that change…

I’m getting too old to absorb new software like I did 25 years ago. Still like learning, but re-learning not so much. Funny thing is I have had my Glowforge for almost 2 years, and only recently tried a photo engrave. Lots to learn there. Tuning and tweaking that is. The default setting for draft quality work perfectly on Draftboard.

1 Like

If I have one purpose in this world, it’s to be the one who tells you to “knock off that thinking!” I’m an old tech guy and I assure you that once the cobwebs are dusted off folks like us can do it like the best of them. I never touched a drawing or 3-D modeling application my entire life, but after getting the UrForge I got into Inkscape and Fusion 360 and am having a Blast!
I’m willing to start a “Coming At It Late” support group here; people with our background have contributions to make!
Ping me for encouragement any time. :grinning:

10 Likes

All my likes.

2 Likes

Thanks @UrJac. I still like learning, just not wanting to learn new software the way I used to. I am refering specifically to something like a third drafting program for instance. Thanks for the kind words.

2 Likes