Way Way Off Topic: Favorite Books/Series

That’s what I liked about Scott Sigler’s serialized novels. He added SFX and music. It really added to the atmosphere.

1 Like

I knew her from all of her children’s books. As a preschool teacher, I read the title, the author, the illustrator, and then the story. I read that author’s name many times!

Sorry to hear she passed.

4 Likes

I love Little Pea! :slight_smile: I had her sign that one for my niece when I met her at a conference. She’s one of those amazing people you just love immediately.

2 Likes

One of my favorite authors is dropping his next.

5 Likes

I put that on my “to get” list. Will have to pre-order after payday. Thanks for the heads up.

1 Like

Thanks for all the great suggestions!
My favorite authors to add to the list:
Mercedes Lackey
Neil Gaiman
Robin McKinley
Tamora Pierce
Diana Wynne Jones (writer of Howl’s Moving Castle)
Christopher Moore
Piers Anthony
Lloyd Alexander
Wen Spencer
Tanya Huff

and recently Jessica Day George, although her YA books are aimed at the 12-15 age group, it seems. I read Dragon Slippers ages ago, and then recently found she had written 2 more to go along with it ;p

Pro tip: Many libraries will allow you to purchase a yearly library card for those outside of their served area. If you are getting only e-books, you can get a pretty great selection at each library’s Overdrive account. For example, I have Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, and Georgia. Here is someone’s blog post that has a pretty good list of libraries that will do this (the comments are gold as well).

Library Cards for Non-Residents Link

Keep calm (waiting for your GF) and read on ;p

5 Likes

Bookmarked, thanks!

1 Like

Oh this is awesome thank you. We ebook and audio book a lot this is perfect!

I was discussing this book with @markevans36301 at Maker Faire and we remarked that a Best Books thread would be a great topic! Please reply with your own recommendations.

I just finished The Last Days of Night, which has the most boring premise ever (the biography of Westinghouse’s patent attorney) but is actually a fantastic riproaring adventure through the earliest days of Tesla, Edison, and electricity.

Highly recommended!

21 Likes

Now on my “hold” list at the library!

1 Like

Thanks for remembering Dan, I’ll get one or two posted here myself.
This is on my ever growing TBR list.

1 Like

I’ve been reading the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson recently. So far, they’ve all been great. Thanks @millersw.628 for the recommendation!

5 Likes

Hum, where have I seen this idea before? :grinning:

2 Likes

THAT’S where I got the idea to read The Dresden Files from! OK, I’ll duplicate this to that one. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Haven’t started a new book since I got my pre-release. But William Gibson has two new ones coming out, one next month and another in the spring. Definitely will get into them.

3 Likes

I fully support reading Dresden Files! By far my favorite book series, currently! Now if only he’ll finish Peace Talks.

2 Likes

Just finished Mistborn series on Audiobook (Libby App rocks!). The series is phenomenal. It shows very clearly the premise that good books are about characters. But it ALSO has an amazing worldbuilding and awesome plotline.

Each of the first two books end on a massive “Screw you, there is clearly another book and you absolutely want to read it IMMEDIATELY!” note. I am glad I didn’t read the series as it was released.

And in the first two books there are some plotholes that wind up being cleared up in the third book in such a phenomenal manner.

I went ahead and started on the follow-up trilogy today. Was against it at first, because it is all new characters. But I am now two hours or so into the book, and know I will be doing the full trilogy again.

5 Likes

I am a huge fan of the Mistborn series as well. If you like those ones you will also like the ones in “The Stormlight Archive” Series.

1. The Way of Kings
  2. Words of Radiance
  3. Oathbringer - Can’t wait to get my hands on it. supposed to come out in Nov. this year.

Brandon Sanderson is Amazing! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Loved Year Zero, esp. the audio book read by John Hodgeman. Now reading After On – interesting, funny, frightening, and a few “insider” references to YZ.

1 Like

Yes! Now I want a BrainPal™ to :glowforge: interface :sunglasses:

2 Likes