Way Way Off Topic: Favorite Books/Series

I haven’t been reading any decent books lately, but I’ve started watching episodes of the Philip K Dick’s Electric Dreams series.

https://g.co/kgs/48tc2h

1 Like

Not her best… I tolerated that one.
I just re-read Book of a Thousand Days, and I rather like her most recent Princess Academy. That series improves each book, while her Bayern series started strong and got slightly less brilliant.

I’m into Brandon Sanderson’s 3rd Mistborn right now. Plan to finish the series; but I’m out of audible credits, so I may have to resort to the library to finish it. I’m not waiting three months.
Gearing up for Wheel of Time series, which is apparently quite a commitment, but well worth the time according to those who have done it.

I know Harry Potter is overplayed; but I think it may be about the most perfect long series out there. It’s seriously good. The movies are another story altogether, and not nearly as praiseworthy. (yes I know every argument about books turned to movies, and it just wasn’t done well at all.) If you are craving more magic after Harry Potter, Septimus Heap (angie Sage) is a 7-part series that’s about half as good.
I love CS Lewis.
My kids and I have done two of Riorden’s Heroes series on audiobook, and then I rebought them to get the kids turning pages. For me to purchase a book twice at retail says something fairly complimentary.

People have mentioned fabulous books on here. Much to agree with.

I tend to gravitate toward YA in fiction.
I love several biographies. I love His Excellency by Joseph Ellis about George Washington. That man was incredible and unreal and wouldn’t have been elected in our century or the last… too good. Unfortunately, current culture craves leadership from critically flawed characters and distrusts disciplined virtue.
I know David McCullough is everywhere; but that’s because he writes so you want to read. John Adams is my favorite of his.
I also love Laura Hillenbrand. She made a horse into a gripping character. A Horse!?!

1 Like

I came down here just to mention Mistborn. I’m on book 2 (book 3 is supposed to be amazing). I don’t read books often, but I’m loving it! I got into it because I funded a Kickstarter for the board game (made by Kevin Wilson, my fav board game designer).

(spoilers below)

I think I know who the bad Kandra spy is as well in book two, but the story is taking forever to reveal it. I’m slightly disappointed in Vin for not knowing who it is! But I’m pretty sure its her own Kandra, if they’re allowed to eat each other… OreSeur changed his behavior pretty dramatically, and Zane/Straff are getting a lot of info. Plus he’s joining in all the meetings

1 Like

I didn’t figure it out.
I have read it before (several years,) and I STILL didn’t figure it out.

You’re pretty good. I think she isn’t figuring it out because she is building trust with the spy - and it’s going both ways.

Book 2 Mistborn spoilers

Yeah I’m really curious to see where this goes. Kandra always are weird and don’t make much sense, and this one especially keeps dodging certain questions to his “master” (pretty sure thats not in the contract lol). Don’t spoil it for me, but I hope the new Kandra and her actually get along (full well knowing that Kandra don’t care about humans except to follow the contract). Maybe at some point Straff dies and she obtains the contract? It’s still pretty vague how it works :slight_smile:

Let me know how you feel about book 3. People actually said book two is filler and three is amazing, but so far book 2 has kept me hooked!

I really do like how the Kandra resolves in book 2.
It’s one of the subplots of book 3 that really keeps me in. I’m hopeful that it works out to my satisfaction.
There are things about 3 that are slightly annoying; but I’m only in the first 100 pages, so I’m sure the annoying things are there because that’s how you get to the end.

1 Like

@cmreeder: Yes, Wheel of Time was phenomenal.

Do not read it at the same time as Sword of Truth though… I had been reading both of those as they released, and it got REALLY confusing. So many parallels in the broad strokes of the narratives, and each has so VERY many characters that disappear for a while, but return and need remembered (which prompts cross-over memory issues for me).

I have been doing Septimus Heap via actual reading with my 8 year old for bedtime stories for a while now. Those are quite nice, and look promising for having a solid full-series narrative flow. On audiobook for car rides we have been doing Artemis Fowl, which is similarly phenomenal for carrying a story through multiple books.

2 Likes

I always have to throw in Anne McCaffrey and her Pern series. It be dragons!! She also has “the ship who {insert action here}” series which is also good.

Death Gate Cycle is also pretty spiffy. Set of 7 chronicling the adventures of these two guys, each from opposing(warring) tribes of magic users(rune vs tribal) traveling between worlds separated by giant magic portals trying to figure out why things are come unbalanced and dying.

4 Likes

Death Gate Cycle is one I often forget about, but have fond memories of. From about the same time in my life, and also worth noting: Coldfire Trilogy, and Fred Saberhagen’s Lost Swords series.

1 Like

Happy Anniversary @jacobturner!

The audiobook is also awesome. Read by Wil Wheaton. :slight_smile: