Ways to store material?

Hmmm… Had not taken into consideration the bowing of thinner materials. I’ll keep it in mind. Thanks!

I was about to say the same thing @numosbk, I use a lot of 1/4" ply and if you stand it on edge, no matter how tightly packed, it tends to bow like crazy. Since my apartment’s really small, my current “solution” is this:

I was storing it in my lumber closet with my tools (and bike), but it kept bowing, so I gave up and started stowing it under my couch. Though the good news is if you take it out and stack it flat with weights on top for a day or two, it’ll go back to normal.
For storage of parts in process, right now I’ve just got stacks on my credenza (not the best system):

And the top drawer has become scrap parts storage, though using smaller, shallow boxes to stack the different shapes has helped a lot:

Hope this helps!

8 Likes

Do you guys remember all them dell monitor cardboard boxes i had? And i broke down like half of em?

Yeah, the monitors they held were 12x20 so ive been using them to store material, and transport it… the boxes have a pretty reinforced handle.

2 Likes

That’s a great idea @Sawa – I wish I still had my iMac box, probably was about the same size and had a great handle. I’ve been using an Ikea bag (one of those blue ones made of woven tarp plastic) for taking wood to and from the laser – crazy strong and easy to clean out. Though it does take on a campfire smell – a bit of a problem when I’m taking my laundry to the laundromat in the same bag :slight_frown:

1 Like

Like seriously, if anyone wants a dozen or so, they are all yours.

I have like 40 left

3 Likes

Whoa, that is a lot of Dells, reminds me of my IT days (though we used to buy these awful HP small-form-factor machines instead – the power supply on one actually blew up and shot a piece of an IC chip at my face once). Thanks, I may take you up on that if I ever get this apartment organized a little better – it’s working pretty well, but 400 square feet has had its limits.

1 Like