Wazer: Personal Waterjet Cutter (Kickstarter)

I pointed our machine shop guy at the project. He said he would kill for a waterjet, but cannot afford 1/4 million. So hopefully for $5k he cannot resist.

7 Likes

There’s a YouTube user named Dan Gelbart who has a series of videos on prototyping. The video series is excellent, in my opinion, and I recommend that “maker” enthusiasts check it out. Dan Gelbart has an industrial waterjet cutter and shows it in a few of the videos.

Here are all the videos…

Here’s the introductory video (which talks about waterjet cutting quite a bit)…

The third video is also about waterjet cutters, but is not as interesting as the others. :confused:

7 Likes

3rd (I think) backer here!

2 Likes

The tile cutting with inlays… totally up my alley. Perhaps some day. I’m pretty happy with the Glowforge; but $2000 was all had for dreamy tools that aren’t available yet.

5 Likes

Dan Gelbart’s videos are fascinating to watch. Working with him must be like being paid to play.

1 Like

Jumping in, came across this.

4 Likes

Yes. A great video. Amazing what you could do with tile. I’m excited about this. Nisan could use some coaching from @dan and pump up the excitement. After all, it does sprockets!

6 Likes

Thanks for passing that along!

5:02 - OMG, center, inside, AND outside? Incredible.
5:12 - Well… maybe

1 Like

I agree about the tile–that’s where my imagination goes. We’re contemplating bumping out the back wall of our house, which would allow us to put in a new tiled bathtub area in the main bath. I don’t know why, but I keep envisioning tilework that has animal shapes inset into contrasting squares. Since I can’t afford to drop the cash on a Wazer myself, I’m going to hit up @Hirudin to bid on custom tile cutting for us. :wink:

7 Likes

Jimmy DiResta has just posted a video of a project using the Wazer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJdf3pyMfpo

Hard to judge the cutting speed from the video, but it looks a lot less turbulent than I expected given that it’s cutting through steel!

7 Likes

I met these guys at Maker Faire New York and they (JOKINGLY!) offered me a job. Seems like an amazing product, and they are big fans of Glowforge and said they gleaned a lot of learnings from our crowdfund to use in theirs.

22 Likes

I probably shouldn’t say this but I’m pretty sure they weren’t joking, @bailey. :wink:

21 Likes

It’s probably a good thing all the early bird tiers have been filled, or else I may have done something impulsive I don’t really have the funds for…but on the other hand, omg I want one.

9 Likes

Happy Cake Day. :clap:

4 Likes

Enjoy cake day! Thanks for sticking with.

4 Likes

Happy day of ‘the’ cake, Steph! :grinning:

2 Likes

Thanks @jamesdhatch, @marmak3261, and @Xabbess!!! That little cake slice is so exciting haha

3 Likes

I really want to get one but I think a home waterjet needs to mature for a generation or two before I’d be happy with it. With the Glowforge, home and small business lasers have been around for a while. Glowforge is just making it much more appealing to the home/very small business market. I’m going to try to resist the urge to buy a waterjet until at least 2018.

15 Likes

I want one too, but my girlfriend put some rules:

1)First get the first one (The glowforge :sweat_smile:)
2)Then save some money.
3)Put a ring on it.*
4)Then you buy anything else

*=Well she never said it, but discretly took that direction.:stuck_out_tongue:

16 Likes

That’s going to need to be a really big ring. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Or maybe I just take things too literally.

33 Likes