Wazer: Personal Waterjet Cutter (Kickstarter)

It’s up! (I was first!) :slight_smile:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1294137530/the-first-desktop-waterjet-cutter

17 Likes

I was 8th.

4 Likes

Lucky bastards what with your fancy “funds” and “money” Bah! :stuck_out_tongue:

12 Likes

damn you guys.
<- 18th backer

4 Likes

Nice. They were up to 12 when I finally fount it…16 by time done reading their info.

I’ll hold off for now as I’m not quite sure what next year brings work wise…also need to get some details on the “tap water” supply…got a well and workshop place I had planned on has no water line. I have another space I could put it, but still working on the remodel…no idea what water pressure I’ll end up as its likely another 100ft water line extension. Hmm maybe my wife won’t mind it in the tack room… I did put a sink there :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Their design looks fantastic.

3 Likes

By the time I said “yes” at about 8:58, all the early birds were gone. I’m taking that as a sign and holding off.

4 Likes

The met 2x goal already. Wow.
Well I might have to visit @Hirudin once his gets in…hope his serial number will show 00001 :slight_smile:
I have one old faceting machine with sn 000500 :smile: don’t use it anymore but just can’t let go off it.

3 Likes

Ooh I’d like to have a diamond Lapp…!

The laps themselves aren’t too bad unless you go to fully sintered laps :slight_smile: those last forever, but you pay for it as well. If you use a backer lap, you can get diamond steel lap plates probably under 60 bucks.

1 Like

The final design is really nice. Sadly money is a bit tight for me right now so I’ll have to hold off on buying one any time soon.

Also I don’t think this would work too well in my bedroom. :smile:

3 Likes

Nice! Nice! Nice!

I’m really liking this product a lot. But I think this time around, I’m going to wait out the product and jump in and put the money out after the first units are on deliver trucks. Twice burned. . . Third time shy. . . Shapeoko 3 had a bit of an extension to crowfunding delivery, Glowforge here, quite a bit more. Will (hopefully) give me a year under my belt with Glowforge before adding another beautiful tool to the herd. :slight_smile:

Congrats to all the “first in line” people here! I’m sharing your excitement.

4 Likes

As tradition, I slept through the first twenty so now I have time to look.

3 Likes

One of the things holding me back is the operating cost. The water is single pass, which I think means they expect you to supply only fresh water and dispose of the used water. The garnet is also single use so you need to buy and dispose of that and it looks like the usage rate is fairly high - something like 1/3 pound per minute and typical cut rates range between 0.4 and 12 ipm. They expect to sell the garnet for $1.10 or less per pound and online prices for small quantities (50 lbs) are $0.50 to $2.00 per pound. That makes the cost to cut anywhere between 1.4 and 42 cents/inch cut depending on the material that is being cut. Shipping 50-lb packages is probably not cheap either. I’m afraid that little analysis just put the machine out of my hobby budget. I really do like the idea, though.

Just checked and they are now 3x goal and still have 79 left at $4k each.

6 Likes

And unless you have some kind of waste stream separation, I doubt your city service will like the waste products you are dumping, especially if cutting more exotic materials.

1 Like

Wazer touches on that mentioning specifically that the garnet is a natural product and safe to dispose of in the trash. No discussion at all of material residue in the spent water and I suppose that some of the heavy metals from stainless steel cutting could be an issue if the local wastewater disposal folks ever traced it to your location. It would be interesting to see what users of the large waterjet machines do with wastewater.

1 Like

Yep the garnet is pretty much inert, just let it settle out before dumping down your drain. Waste of the cut material can be more of a concern. I

I had not noted the operating cost. Good catch.

What caught my eye was that it will not cut 1/4" mild steel. This may be a deal breaker for me.

I can hog out one of something with a saw and a grinder. If I need 25+ I can get good deals on farming it out. It is awkward when you need 4-5 of something.

5 Likes

Tinijet is supposed to start their campaign this week as well, let’s see what their specs come out to (they ha e a spec sheet on their website as well, not sure how up to date)

4 Likes

I just heard from my friend that works for for Universal Laser and he is super pumped about this. He’s seen it work and spent time with one of the guys (the one with the beard on the kickstarter page) using it.
He’s convinced I should cancel my GF order and put my money on this. That not going to happen! No way am I waiting another 9 months or more to start making stuff. Plus most of what I want to do is wood and leather. I doubt a waterjet would do that well.
He’s never recommended anything to me as highly as this. So if you’re thinking about it I’d say it’s a relatively safe bet.

4 Likes

I’ve been thinking on it all day and I think I am going to pass on the Wazer for now mostly because it won’t cut 1/4" annealed steel. The dream of in-house water cutting is so appealing but it just won’t do a primary job I wanted it to do.

Maybe I’ll upgrade to a GF pro instead.

4 Likes