Welding images and text on inkscape

Good morning everyone. So I just got my Glowforge last weekend and still trying to figure out which program I want to use. At the moment I’m using Inkscape. I have already made a few items including some Xmas decorations. I was trying to add some antlers or bells on the outer edge of the circle but it ended up cutting separately. I couldn’t for the life of me figure it out. So I purchased an svg file with the antlers already on it. Now I’m having problems connecting the text to the circle without it being cut separately. When I try to weld it (union) the words disappear in the middle and it fills in with black. It works if I create a circle myself at the beginning and I can cut it fine on the glowforge but when using an svg file to start it doesn’t seem to work for me. What am I doing wrong. Ugh. So frustrating.

Learning Inkscape is not an overnight thing, and I am afraid that this description of your problem is not enough information for anyone to actually help you. I suggest logosbynick.com as a source of some very good tutorials. Since you are working with a purchased file, you can’t share it here since that would probably violate the purchase agreement.

2 Likes

I have a feeling you’re Uniting with something you don’t want to unite with. Maybe an extra shape.
When using unite, it’s good to be really precise and sometimes go pair-wise at a time with your shapes so you know what’s happening.

I tried to run through an example here:

which helped me understand it better.

If watching me poke around is helpful, there ya go :smiley:

Good luck!

9 Likes

search welding images on ink scape there are a few good instructional video’s out there.
Hard part is ink scape doesn’t always work the way it is suppose to.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.