Well, I promised. šŸ˜„

I probably would not be showing this since I consider it a failed prototype, but I promised Iā€™d show it if it came out even marginally reasonableā€¦

A few days ago I caught a really weird load on the browser when I tried to access the forum, and it looked interesting enough that I thought I could clean it up and use it for an engraveā€¦well, itā€™s low browser resolution, and the grays from the image didnā€™t really engrave the way i wanted them to, but I gave it a shot. This is how it came out when I engraved it on the ā€œBetter Together Clutchā€ from the Glowforge Catalogā€¦

IMG_5829

IMG_5828

Best part of this design is still the side weavingā€¦

(At least itā€™s unique.) :smile:

By the wayā€¦burnishing leather? Not a huge fan. :laughing:

48 Likes

:rofl: Thatā€™s great!

4 Likes

:scream: WOW, so that is what you have been doing learning leather! I love it. You never disappoint.

5 Likes

Came out looking rather intentional.
Great job.

4 Likes

It came out perfect for what it is :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing

5 Likes

Oh, you did the word cloud! Iā€™m glad you made use of it, it really looks great on that clutch. Your burnishing looks good too. I did that clutch but I completely neglected the burnishing aspect.

7 Likes

ā€œWe donā€™t make mistakes, just happy little accidents.ā€

7 Likes

Thanks for the kind words gang. :slightly_smiling_face:

I was planning to try to remake it, using a vertical orientation with the Passthrough and the snapmarks, to see if I could get a better result on the Engrave and alignment (both of which are kind of tricky to do if you start with a bad image) so I spent a couple of days trying to clean up and darken that word cloud a little better, re-saved it, started it againā€¦and it looked even funkier, so I stopped the print to save the leather. I can use it for a wallet or something smaller.

I know there are probably only a handful reading this far down the thread, so Iā€™ll pass on a few discoveries in case any of you guys are interested in trying a leather projectā€¦

• Buy the tools you need up front, and donā€™t cheap out on them. I ruined a lot of leather with a cheap fifteen dollar edger from Amazon, and the quality of the tools makes a HUGE difference. The Tandy edger was pretty good for amateur use, but needs to be sharpened, so you have to get something set up for that.

• Burnishing really sux but if you want shiny, you have to burnish. Tokonole gives a nice finish without being ā€œpatent leatherā€ shiny. Carnauba car wax comes in a close second. (I used a glass plate.)

• When you engrave on leather and then bend the leather across the engrave, (at the edges), you kind of destroy the engrave effect because the lighter threads underneath tend to show giving everything a yucky gray bloom instead of being dark ā€¦so you have to dye those areas a darker brown color. The use of micro False Eyelash Glue Applicators help for that if you have to do it.

• You can erase light ā€œnoiseā€ prints from leather with a hard rubber eraserā€¦the kind used to clean wood load off of sandpaper. (This was the best discovery for this image!)

• Light brown dyeā€¦ isnā€™t. :rofl:

• This pattern was a real booger for the GFUI to try to handle due to the complexity of the broken text patterns on it, so it had to be split into three sections to process, even though it isnā€™t full bed. I finally figured out that I could process the sections horizontally using Snapmarks to pre-print the leather and then rotate it for the cuttingā€¦but then I didnā€™t like how the engrave was turning out so I killed it. I need to come up with a better word cloud method. (I know there are generators, but that feels like cheating.)

• Plan to mess up a lot of projects while you figure things outā€¦ stitch spacing, grooving versus non-grooving, edging versus non-edging, and leather does not actually have good insulating properties and makes a lousy pinchā€¦you might want to test it before burnishing the danged thing. :wink:

Some other fails along the wayā€¦just for kicksā€¦

15 Likes

You can get a start on what might work for your project looking at traditional leather tools and similar product patterns. Theyā€™ll often tell you if itā€™s four stitches per inch, or five or six etc, along with accompanying photos (punches are sold for common spacings, they look like stubby forks)

4 Likes

I wish I had thought about that up front, but I did eventually figure it outā€¦you can see the progression between the left holster stitching and the holster on the right. :smile:

And itā€™s okayā€¦I use the failed prints to test other techniques (like dyeing versus painting, and setting snaps.)

3 Likes

I love the way this looks, Julesā€¦even if itā€™s not on your hit list of favorites. The image is a fun idea and the side weaving very cool. Doing something in leather is on my mindā€™s back burner and has been since early on in my Glowforge ā€˜careerā€™. I take inspriration from the mere fact that you ā€˜did itā€™ā€¦which means eventually so will I. Thanks for keeping your promise!

3 Likes

Sounds like a quote from Bob Ross?..:grinning:

5 Likes

I seriously think it looks fabulous, and Iā€™m a leather worker from way back - if you were going to a Maker Faire or something Iā€™d fill it with pictures of things youā€™ve made :slight_smile:

Iā€™m right there with you on not being a fan of burnishing!

6 Likes

Everything just screams ā€œBEGINNER!ā€ to me. :smile:

Havenā€™t decided whether to keep pursuing it or notā€¦I seem to lack the knack, but with enough practice I could probably improve someā€¦itā€™s just finding the time to do the finishing work. Working leather takes real commitment, and a high level of artistry. (The missing part of the equation here.)

2 Likes

Well done.

3 Likes

I love how your failed projects are better than many of my successes. I think this looks pretty nice!

7 Likes

Looks lovely ā€¦ we are always our toughest critic ā€¦ it is unwarranted here! :slight_smile:

Havenā€™t tried leather, and to be honest ā€¦ I may not ever. My husband was interested in leather ā€¦ but, he means ā€¦ he is interested in me doing it. Ha!

Enjoyed your write-up!

5 Likes

:laughing: I so understand that!

5 Likes

Yep. When mine says ā€œweā€ should do something, I sometimes have to ask, ā€œis that the ā€˜weā€™ that means ā€˜us,ā€™ or the ā€˜weā€™ that means ā€˜me?ā€™ā€ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

Unfortunately it works both waysā€¦whenever I hit hubs up with a ā€œWe need toā€¦ā€ he usually responds with ā€œIs that the French oui, or are you pregnant?ā€

:roll_eyes: We love them anyway. :smile:

6 Likes