Well this sucks!

Thanks for your kind words guys.
I’ll be honest it’s a worry, but he seems pretty upbeat about it. I think he’s just frustrated that he can’t do all his outdoorsy stuff and wants to get back to it asap.
It’s been a hell of a weekend though.

12 Likes

Thoughts are with both of you ! I had the robotic bypass heart surgery (http://www.davincisurgery.com/da-vinci-surgery/da-vinci-surgical-system/?gclid=CJG2xOGr29QCFYF_fgodgl8HnQ) The recovery time is unbelievable compared to the conventional crack sternum method, Take care!

11 Likes

sending warm wishes and hopes for a speedy recovery

1 Like

Hope all goes well, totally understand. I’m being treated for Deep Vein Thrombosis. Still not right after six months. Knew what what was going on while I worked for three more days. Waited till I could go to another hospital (another island) because I worked at the one here for a while.

Get better too much fun ahead!

Hope all is well.

3 Likes

Oh, don’t do that. DVTs have the nasty habit of launching themselves in to the giant filter in your chest (your pulmonary arterioles) causing a pulmonary embolism which can be rapidly fatal.

2 Likes

I was aware and started aspirin therapy., but you’ve never been to my hospital. It was a calculated risk :sunglasses:

I’ve wondered if aspirin would help or harm an existing DVT. Dissolve it or loosen it and make it mobile?

Luckily that’s been studied. And Aspirin is not particularly protective from DVTs (otherwise for higher risk patients we’d have people take aspirin for long overseas flights (provides no protection) so we prescribe low-molecular weight heparin. The only drug that truly dissolves a DVT would be TPA - Tissue Plasminogen Activator (which has serious life threatening side effects and would be a last ditch effort in a saddle embolus) which is the body’s own clot buster (although now we use recombinant bacteria to make it so technically it is rTPA) Heparin and the like simply prevent further buildup of clot (clot begets more clot) and seems to allow for the body to place a fibrous cap over the clot which prevents migration (to be honest we don’t care about the clot in your leg, it’s not dangerous per se, just when it launches to your lung). The biggest issue we always face is what was the cause of your DVT (provoked or unprovoked). In this case since it is post-surgical that is what we call provoked (extremely common in surgery in general and particularly orthopedic surgery - almost 60% in knee replacements and even higher in hips) which is why the minute you get out of those surgeries you get placed on low molecular weight heparin such as lovenox. Because the risk of DVT is higher than the risk of severe bleeding. Unprovoked is more concerning as then we need to find why you have a propensity for clotting abnormally (the most common is an occult malignancy or an acquired clotting dyscrasia like + antiphospholipid syndrome)

7 Likes