Whale that’s cool!

My friend Katherina who is a force of nature (and a force FOR nature) founded the Whales of Guerrero project 10 years ago. https://www.whalesinmexico.com/

I made this art piece for the recent auction/ fundraiser. It measures approx. 11”x16”, and is made from 5 layers of 1/8” russian birch ply. Each layer is watercolor painted with a different shade of blue.

45 Likes

Very pretty! I’ve been working on a stacked one lately myself, and planned to do the graded colors. Did you put a finish on it after?

1 Like

I can’t wait to see what you come up with!

I sprayed a light finish on each layer after the paint, but before the final assembly. Mainly to seal the wood and to maintain the integrity of the watercolor. I still wanted it to look somewhat natural and unfinished.

4 Likes

Chuckle! At the rate I’m going it’s going to take a looooooong time. The design keeps changing it’s mind about what it wants to be. :smile:

Nice look on the finish though, I’ll have to try to remember that if I ever get the thing cut.

3 Likes

What a beautiful piece for a beautiful project.

2 Likes

That’s gorgeous and such a great cause! I need to think about doing some stacked pieces. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The blues are so pretty! I’d definitely bid on that!

2 Likes

This is gorgeous! The contrast of the blue against the light wood is just lovely!

That is awesome! I have been to Mexico to work with her and her team. It’s an amazing experience!

Oh no way! Kat is such a dear friend of mine. So cool that you have gotten to be a part of that team!