What a crock

the only downside of doing tiles is engraving speed. the cost and ease are perfect.

1 Like

I agree that the engrave speed can be a bit of a problem for selling but you could speed it up a bit. I use faster lower LPI settings and these are the results.
image image image

27 Likes

Thank you. I just wanted to show that you can go faster and lower LPI and still get great results with tiles. I’ve actually never been to any of those places, this was a commission I did for a traveling teacher that taught in each of those cities/countries.

1 Like

Or everything else category.

It shouldn’t be seen as being censored or screened. And know one should feel put out or singled out either.

And I am really sorry to see people getting heated about this.
My favorite category by far is the MoaGF…love seeing what everyone is up to.
Technically, anything that has been lasered by most forum members WAS made on a Glowforge so it becomes really confusing what to post and what not to post in this category.
Easy way to separate would be…Made on a Glowforge, and/or using proofgrade materials and no settings mentioned…
Otherwise post in Beyond the manual.

1 Like

Any non-Proofgrade settings information needs to be kept in the Beyond the Manual category according to @dan and the Friendly Neighborhood Lawyers.

It appears in the Forum Guidelines:

"If you would like information on operation beyond what is covered by the manual, you may discuss it in the “Beyond the Manual” section, and only in that section. Note that that section of the forum may contain information that is incorrect and may violate your warranty, damage your Glowforge, and cause injury or death. That is the only place for discussion of topics like:

• Manual settings for materials
  • Modifying your Glowforge unit
  • Third party add-ons"

And if we don’t follow that rule, we might lose that section. It was a compromise that some of us begged for when they told us no non-Proofgrade settings were allowed to be discussed here.

The Regulars have the ability to shift topics there, or they can flag the posts and the moderators will move them or delete the settings information. If someone shifts your topic, they are only trying to help. We do understand that not everyone has read the Guidelines.

It’s a forum rule that we follow so we can keep the Beyond the Manual section. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Don’t throw in the towel…it’s easy enough to just link to a separate post in Beyond the Manual where you have the settings information posted. That’s what I do, and it works out fairly well.

It actually doubles your exposure, and has the benefit of keeping all the off-the-book settings in one place where they are easily searchable.

You should still post your creations - I enjoy seeing them, and I know a lot of other folks do as well. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

My stuff got moved too. Pretty soon everything will be in Beyond the Manual.

1 Like

I read posts no matter where they go! Beyond the Manual has some super cool stuff.

7 Likes

Just a quick addendum…

Pretty soon everything that – according to the rules should be – will be in Beyond the Manual.

That’s the goal, anyway. We are volunteers and do scan as best we can but it’s not easy to catch them all.

4 Likes

BTM is my favorite section, actually.

6 Likes

Actually, per the forum FAQ custom settings can only be posted in BTM.

1 Like

I’m going to assume the answer to this is going to be obvious, but how did you keep the colors from not blending when cleaning? Just tedious cleaning? Beautiful results.

In other news, I came into this late so I have no idea what this post originally was about. What I do know is that expectations versus reality can fog our perceptions of what’s actually happening. This had been made so abundantly clear in my life recently that I actually made a tile to reflect it:

4 Likes

After coloring the tile with the metallic sharpies, I let it sit for 5 minutes or so to make sure it was good and soaked into the tile. Then I cut small pieces off a melamine sponge and use those little pieces to clean each color separately. There is still some blending, but taking a damp paper towel and wiping the tile removes any major color blending and leaves the results you see above. It’s not really that tedious and in a rush you certainly can just wipe and go and the results still turn out wonderfully. The Africa tile was just a wipe and go, instead of the more tedious cleaning.

5 Likes

I’ve yet to try melamine sponges, but I did have good luck with just a damp rag with standard sharpies. Not sure if it’d work with oil-based. Seems like there are lots of ways to get this to work :slight_smile:

Give 'em a try! Seems like nothing is happening as you start rubbing, then all of the sudden BOOM it’s clean. Since you can use them dry or VERY slightly damp, I feel like it gives you better control if you want to leave the engraved portions alone.

2 Likes

I barely even pay attention to post category - I just look at everything by “latest”. I assumed that was normal but maybe that was a silly assumption?

6 Likes

Problem with posting settings outside of the Beyond The Manual section is that people see them with less likelihood of getting the legal disclaimer, and it’s very hard to contain or research where misinformation was found if it’s allowed to spread everywhere, in the event there is an issue.

So for example of a situation that just actually happened, someone looks up settings for PG acrylic to use on non-PG material, but the settings they grabbed from the forum were set up for a Basic while they’re actually using a Pro model… and they destroyed their GF with a fire because the speed was lower than it should have been.

8 Likes