What a snub

Hola, mi nombre es Pablo.

I’ve been thinking about doing nested layered polyhedra in new ways, this is one of the concepts I was kicking around. This is more of a proof of concept than anything else, but I’m pretty happy with how it came out. It’s a very tight fit, I designed it without any real wiggle room… But this is a laser, and wiggle room is for people who aren’t stupidly overconfident.

For the polyhedron geeks out there: It’s not trivial to figure out the face angles and geometry with faces that aren’t rotationally symmetrical, this was an accidentally difficult proof of concept. Use good 3d software, it’ll save you a lot of headaches compared to my method of logic-ing it out. This is some sort of snub cube variant, I think it’s maybe the first stellation of a snub cube. I can’t recall, I was moving quickly.

Click for a bonus half built pic.

I don’t always include in progress shots, but since this is a semi-novel concept, it should show you a bit more about what’s going on here.

53 Likes

Nice!!!

4 Likes

Well done!

4 Likes

Whaat! I can’t even understand what I am seeing, much less try to model or build it!
Again @evansd2 you are pushing the limits on :glowforge: polyhedron craft! Congratulations!
Your work and passion continues to amaze and inspire . Many thanks.

6 Likes

Well, that is pretty spectacular. Nested is so unique and a great new take on these awesome shapes. Nicely done.

6 Likes

Wonder what something like that would look like if every piece was a different color.

6 Likes

Aaaak! You’ve got my brain hurting again. Quite an achievement!

4 Likes

Done without a 3D assist, wow… I love that it’s friction fit and so clean.

7 Likes

Done with a partial 3d assist. I use Stella to explore my options, then export to sketchup, and use that to set scale. Then I export the face shape to svg.

After that it was trigonometry and geometry to figure out the rest — connector design, internal face sizes, etc.

8 Likes

That’s kind of nuts. Nice work!

5 Likes

That is amazing!!

5 Likes

Amazed

3 Likes

Very cool.

Why Pablo?

3 Likes

It’s a snub cube, Picasso is known for his cubism.

9 Likes

Ah. Of course.

3 Likes

This is fantastic!

2 Likes

Wow, just wow!

1 Like

And I have trouble making tab A fit into slot B.

2 Likes

hi there, welcome to the forum!

@evansd2 I love your work; I learn so much.

2 Likes

Right back at you, I am clueless about fiber arts. :slight_smile:

3 Likes