So I took an illustration, inverted it and 3D engraved it on medium basswood settings (on a random piece of non PG basswood).
I was thinking it might work as a woodblock printing test.
Unfortunately, no. The lines are way too fine for that at this scale. So I figure “maybe I’ll paint it white, then roll black over the whole thing, getting a positive’. I had a can of white primer laying around so I said “let’s see what happens”. I got a couple of light sprays in and just stopped because I thought it looked really cool. This is what I got:
It’s like the primer sought out the upper surface, such an unexpected result.