What are the most unique materials you plan to use?

Not sacreligious until they have been blessed; until then they are just bread :wink:

1 Like

Can it engrave in a bar of soap?

I’m planning to do inlaid and onlaid leather for book covers, plus make attempts at wood marquetry. Glowforge seems ideal for both. Not unique materials, but interesting uses.

1 Like

Most of what I plan to do with it is automotive related. Anodized Aluminum, Stainless Steel (with Cermark), Different kinds of wood (for interior inlays), Leather (cut and engrave for automotive interior applications), Painted Carbon Fiber (to reveal pattern below)… Things like that…

Ive been collecting scraps of exotic woods and I am going to make a set of something out of my exotic woods. I also have tons of access to Formica and other laminates so i think i will make stuff out of that as well (business cards 1st)

I’m curious to see how recycled CDs look. I love the colors they give off.

If you are cutting formica make sure your ventilation setup is in order since it releases formaldehyde when it burns.
Probably not enough to do you any real harm, but definitely irritating!

I’ve been wanting to test out engraving tiles that will be sublimated on (either before or after) and stone coasters that will have images stamped on them with paint. I have a collection of antique crocheted doilies, and I was imagining cutting one’s outline out of a stretched piece of canvas, so after the canvas was painted, the doily could be stitched into that blank space.

1 Like

@Livi, have you seen this discussion on CDs? Can the Glowforge cut a CD?

@johnwills Oh cool! Thank you!

Thank you!! i had no idea! ill definitely
have it hooked up anyways! How do you know that?

I used to have a job in a shop that made formica laminated furniture.
Routing off the overhanging material after glueing up the laminate was a super stinky operation if you let the router bits get dull (which they always were).

We did some research to find out if the boss was killing us. :smile:

3 Likes

good to know! I work at a place just like that right now!

Fabric. Burlap and canvas, maybe even some silk if the other stuff comes out well.

We have a thing for reclaimed wood - old mill flooring, 100+ year old furniture parts, bowling alley lanes… anything we can rescue that has a interesting story to tell. Maple, Mahogany, Walnut, Cherry - we have LOTS of nice strips, cut offs and usable scraps to work with. Yes, it’s wood - but some pretty unique wood…

2 Likes

Just read this article on making a bowl from recycled magazines. I imagine it would save time to cut stacks of magazine pages at one time. But now I’m wondering if there is a greater risk of fire with that much paper. Also, perhaps it has to be pre-glued and if the pages are pre-glued, then I would have to research what type of glue works best with a laser since i have read in other threads that the glue can cause issues. At any rate it appears the layers of the above mentioned bowl were folded several times first in the close-up photo.

The topic from @Christopher on dry moly lube has me wondering if it will be possible to bond a layer of graphite to an object, to be used as a substrate to electroplate on. It could provide for some interesting effects if workable. Or maybe it will be a cheap way to make graphene.

You may want to look into electroless plating. We used an electroless nickel process at my old job. I was able to nickel plate a 3d printed pla Owl.

Thank you, but, I’ve tried a few different types and was unimpressed with the results.

Micarta and G10