What DFQ?

REALLY don’t want to restart my unit right now because I’m trying to engrave the other side of something I just cut and I’m afraid when it re-calibrates it’ll be off. But no matter what I do right now all I get is…

EDIT: Forgot to mention I tried restarting my browser (Chrome). Tried IE (yuck) but it just sat at Rendering your design…. So I tried Edge. Got the same DFQ-848 error.

EDIT: Turns out DFQ-848 isn’t an error. It’s the “name” of my unit.

1 Like

This got a like for the error code and not for the error itself. Hope you work it out!

3 Likes

I’ve had to shut down my GF several times when it got too hot. Everytime I started it up again (when it was cool) it cut on exactly the same lines as previously. Note - I did NOT move the media being cut.

I’d restart your computer and your GF and see if it fixes itself.
HTH
Martha

1 Like

Yeah… Whatever the issue it seems like it’s going to require a reboot no matter what… Hoping for the best!

Just imagine it were DFQ-404 :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Some of us are just luckier than others…

1 Like

I may have fixed my problems… Maybe all of them. (Glowforge-related only. :slight_smile: )
I changed wireless channels and everything started working GREAT.
Let me explain… As a network engineer, I chose my wireless channel very carefully as it has the least traffic surrounding me (from neighbors). In the 2.4GHz range, Channel 9 was the quietest. I’ve been using that channel for a long, long time. About once a year I even test again to see if anything’s changed (neighbors get a new router?). Last time I had a Glowforge issue (about a month ago) I tried changing channels but it didn’t help so I put it back. Last night I decided to try that again. This time I didn’t check wireless heat at all… just arbitrarily picked Channel 6. No joke, within seconds of doing that the 'forge finished calibrating (had been sitting there not calibrating for like 30 minutes). Ran a few jobs without issue! Could it be my 'forge just doesn’t like Channel 9?!?! Could it be all 'forges don’t like Channel 9? Who knows. But I guess I’m sticking with Channel 6 (even though one of my neighbors is clearly using the same channel!).

Please, Support, don’t consider this closed. I’d still love to know what you’re seeing ion your end.

1 Like

Tom_A, could you explain, for me and any other dimwits, how you check the channel numbers of your wifi, and how I’d know if I had any choice ?
John :upside_down_face:

It’s within your router admin mode (you should have a sticker on the back that tells you the default IP address, login and password - on a separate note, when you get a new router, logging in and changing the default password is a good idea).

Within their, and it depends on the model, will be a section for WiFi Channel. Usually under WLAN or WiFi heading - usually wherever you set up your WiFi SSID/name.

North America uses pretty much channels 1-11, and the rest of the world uses 1-13. Routers used to ship with the default set to 6, so that channel could get pretty overloaded with traffic. A lot of them now ship with “Auto” - I’m not sure how it selects a broadcast channel for that.

1 Like

@jbmanning5 explained it perfectly. But one thing you can do is check your area to find the quietest channel. I simply use the free WiFi Analyzer app on my phone. It tells you, live, what’s being picked up by your phone. Me, I walked around my house and noted the best channels and then picked the one that was quietest in the majority of my house. Hope that makes sense.

And, I suppose I should note, there’s typically no “need” to do this. Even with some clutter you’re usually fine. I’m just particular about having the best WiFi signal I can. :wink:

I should also note that 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels are set separately. If you’re going to do this, you’ll want to check both and set each appropriately. I imagine you might next want to know which you should use… 5GHz is faster, but the signal might not carry throughout your whole house. 2.4GHz is what the Glowforge uses. It’s slower, and is used by more devices (old-fashioned cordless phones, baby monitors, some electrical devices interfere in that range), but it travels better.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

If I’m not mistaken the glowforge can only use the 2.4 GHz.

Right. That’s why I said

:wink:

2 Likes

Thanks both. I’ll need to wait till I get back home(next month I hope) before I can check.
John :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I’m glad you resolved it! We’re seeing this too and we’re looking into it.

I’m going to close this thread - if the problem reoccurs, go ahead and post a new topic. Thanks for letting us know about this!