What do I do while I have a project engraving?

I have a project being cut and engraved right now. The project is taking 2.5 hrs.
Is it possible to still use my GFUI to work on other designs?
I feel like I could be getting so much done in 2 hours rather than staring at my current project.

2 Likes

Yup, you can edit in the UI after the job starts on your glowforge.

You can open several tabs in your browser and work on a few simultaneously if you like.

11 Likes

WONDERFUL!!!
That is such great news! Thank you!

2 Likes

I just usually sit there, listen to the radio and drink BEER. Longest run for me so far is 1hr 45min, so by that time I’m perty drunk! LOL

3 Likes

Just keep on mind that even when engraving materials like wood and acrylic there is a fire danger and you should be keeping an eye on the machine.

4 Likes

Read these forums.

Design your next project.

:smiley:

2 Likes

wait… you can!? oh man I never even thought of it. My dogs gonna miss out on some ear scratchin time now!

3 Likes

Yeah you can.

But if I am giving my best advice here: If at all possible, learn how to use a proper vector and raster editor, don’t rely on the GF UI for design purposes if you have almost any other option.

You will outgrow the GFUI’s design abilities very quickly, but something like Inkscape or Affinity will let you do almost anything.

2 Likes

I am just learning Illustrator and have used Inkscape a bit but I still like to put stuff into GF and see what it looks like. Also I’d have it all g2g so I can just print. But thanks, you’re right designing is way better outside of GF!

2 Likes

Cool, everyone’s got a different workflow. I have opened multiple tabs to simultaneously work on different designs, there are times when it’s good to be able to set things up.

1 Like

Solid, I do the same. =)

I just started about 2 weeks ago. I haven’t learned any other program yet.
Kinda nervous.
There is just so much to learn and do!

1 Like

Yes! I stay in the same room. The printer is right next to my desk. I just can’t imagine staring at it for over two hours and not getting anything else done.

1 Like

Hey if it’s any help, you’re not alone in this! There’s an entire forum of previous posts to search through and people who will help where you can’t find the answer. We all started somewhere and know what it’s like. We got your back.

2 Likes

My Forge is conveniently in my wood shop. While things are running on my machine I usually work on low dust projects o e bench down. That way I can catch if something happens. Like when some dummy forgets to turn the fan on and the shop fills with smoke! Doh!

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.