What do you do with your laser scrap?

So making puzzle boxes you do a lot of testing… So I end up with literally hundreds of sheets of scrap wood. I would love to know what you all do with your scrap wood as I’m wondering if there is something I’m missing that I could benefit even more form my scrap.

Below is a little video where I share my thoughts on what I’m doing with my scrap wood currently

7 Likes

Periodically I go out with a friend and give him a big box of scrap wood. He painstakingly peels off any masking left on and uses it for kindling inside and out. I usually gift him something I made as well. Win win!

5 Likes

Oh so you gift it to some one using to start fires right?
I can imagen the hard woods burning amazingly.

3 Likes

Yes, firewood! Of course I live in the country where that is the norm…
I also have a lot of small designs that use up those small unused spaces… keychains, refrigerator magnets, zipper pulls, miniatures, etc. Just search for my free designs and you’ll find many ‘scrap’ design uses.

5 Likes

Every so often I do a funeral pyre with burnable.

I had a huge box of acrylic cutoffs that I had to send to the dumpster. That was sad.

I spent three hours cleaning my garage yesterday. I can’t believe all the stuff I was accumulating for the Glowforge and other projects. It was a purge. But I did find a case of 4x4" white tiles that had forgotten about.

6 Likes

Why does he have to peel the masking off to use it as kindling? It’s just paper, right? (Asking because I just got rid of mine in the gingerbread burnout, but I didn’t peel any of it… should I have?)

2 Likes

I think they are using the masking itself as kindling, not removing it from wood scraps to use those as kindling.

I like the idea of cutting out some shapes to maybe give to art teachers or elementary teachers.

4 Likes

Here’s a similar one. Quadros

3 Likes

there is a lot when you look…

and…

and…

etc…

etc…

and so many more…

6 Likes

I think he’s not sure about the glue used on the masking for burning inside. He also finds it therapeutic!

4 Likes

As do I. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

The kindling is a clever idea, but I already have tons of cardboard boxes for starting the grill with in summertime. (I call it Amazon Kindling.)

3 Likes

The solid wood scraps go into my honeybee smoker.
So in some some sense, our beeswax candles are made
with the helped of the glowforge. I have also used bigger scraps after
taking off the masking in my food smoker.
Plywood scraps are good kindling.

3 Likes

but but - cardboard is what you use to test designs before committing to wood!

3 Likes

During the long wait for delivery, I hoarded cardboard, and think I used it probably 4 times. :roll_eyes:
Having been graced with a pre-release the company was generous with a store credit for materials, and I preferred testing on the actual material I would use, so I recycled probably 50 pounds of that stuff. If it comes to where I need cardboard to test, there is always an ample supply of “Amazon Kindling”.

4 Likes

The problem with corrugated is that it’s almost perfectly designed for starting fires. I’ve used it a few times, but BB is cheap and produces stuff that can be used indefinitely.

2 Likes

The only time I started a …slow burn (it never flared) with cardboard was when I accidentally selected my corriboard setting instead of my cardboard setting. It’s very reliable material, if you’re getting fires you need to do more settings testing.
Once I have my basic pieces settled I’ll do it in wood, but it’s hard to argue with free testing materials!

2 Likes

I use the scraps to cut out miniature dollhouse accessories and furniture. I have a friend who is a mixed media artist. He uses my scraps and turns into landscape art.

4 Likes

Right now it goes in the pile on the floor lol

5 Likes