What is optimal height when engraving without the tray

Hi. I’m not sure this is the right place for this. I have a board I want to engrave that is .75 thick. It is 11.25” x 19.75”. The design is a sign that has a rectangular border. The max I am finding is around 18.06 wide. Is there a way to increase that by raising or lowering the item. I currently have it raised up so is a little more than 1.5” off the bottom of the bed.

Thank you for any help.

Mike

The area that is engrave-able is influenced by the speed of the engrave as the printhead needs room to accelerate and decelerate at the beginning and end of each line of engraving. It is not influenced by the height of the material. The material to be engraved must be between 1.5" and 2" from the floor of the Glowforge. As you change the speed of your engrave, you will see changes in the size of the area you can engrave.

5 Likes

Thank you. I had no idea. Do you or anybody else know good settings for solid pine? I have a pro and did testing a while back with high speed so had a higher power setting. I was doing 1000/85. I would in this case as it is larger prefer the space and will just deal with it being slower. Thanks again for the help!

1 Like

There are a few threads in the forum discussing pine. Here is one: Inch thick pine power settings? - #7 by tjleasa

4 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

The easiest way to get the correct height with no crumb tray is to cut one of these from a piece of scrap:

4 Likes