What songs will Glowforge play?

This laser cutter plays the Super Mario Brother theme.

https://vimeo.com/4028427

25 Likes

Thatā€™s pretty fantastic.

2 Likes

Should be possible to get the notes. But not sure if we would be able to control the timing for pauses between notes without being able to upload direct G-Code

1 Like

Plus that laser cutter had a z axis that created the bass line. You can see the camera get lower and lower as the song plays.

2 Likes

It would be better if it was actually cutting/engravingā€¦ but pretty cool.

1 Like

I was thinking if they turned the laser on while it was doing that, slowly moving in the Y axis, it would have drawn something squigly and interesting.

2 Likes

It would likely not look so amazing. Mostly straight lines going back and forth across one another. Hopefully some angles, couldnā€™t tell if they used the Y axis (donā€™t have a good ear for music, so no clue how many notes played at once, other than more than 1 sometimes).

And of course it is likely that if running the laser they would run the air assist and extraction, which would make it hard to hear the motors.

(but yesā€¦ it would be awesome to make a cut that not only sounds cool, but also looks cool)

3 Likes
14 Likes

I would happily sacrifice a pice of mdf just to do it

1 Like

Reminds me of the Honda Civic Music Road in Lancaster, CA

8 Likes

Thatā€™s some serious nerd cred.

Hahah!!! These are amazing.

How annoying would that be after the first ten seconds of play!

The process is really rather simple. Just need to convert a song to the appropriate number of notes to match your hardware. Then a bit of MIDI conversion later ā€¦

6 Likes

Since you have practical experience, I think we all expect you to share with us how to do this with our Glowforges when they get here. I suppose that if we have no means of doing this sort of ā€œout-of-the-box,ā€ you should probably take advantage of the GPLā€™d firmware and create something custom. Warranty be damned.

Not planned for the shipping version, but I know our own @matt loaded some chiptunes into an early Glowforge prototypeā€¦

11 Likes

Does @matt want to make some friends?!

That would certainly be a fun little Easter egg.

3 Likes

That would beā€¦ AWESOME!

Imagine, your Glowforge arrives with a pre-loaded ā€œSample Cutā€ on the web interface (for any first time log-in/registration). This is a nice simple Glowforge Logo coaster or something.

Butā€¦ there is a chiptune ā€œDuh duh da duh da da! Charge!ā€ right before everything fires upā€¦

3 Likes

I just dusted off an old makerbot cupcake I had sitting around and got it working again this morning. I was printing off a part and low and behold it started playing a pretty cool tune. I immediately thought of this thread!

2 Likes

that wouldnā€™t play in my browser, but it let me download and play on my desktopā€¦

I really dig the seven-note bass-line as the head works itā€™s way around the ā€˜pointā€™ of the heart from screen-right to screen-left. Might have to sample it if I ever get back around to playing with audio.:grin:

2 Likes