What songs will Glowforge play?

Reminds me of the Honda Civic Music Road in Lancaster, CA

8 Likes

That’s some serious nerd cred.

Hahah!!! These are amazing.

How annoying would that be after the first ten seconds of play!

The process is really rather simple. Just need to convert a song to the appropriate number of notes to match your hardware. Then a bit of MIDI conversion later …

6 Likes

Since you have practical experience, I think we all expect you to share with us how to do this with our Glowforges when they get here. I suppose that if we have no means of doing this sort of “out-of-the-box,” you should probably take advantage of the GPL’d firmware and create something custom. Warranty be damned.

Not planned for the shipping version, but I know our own @matt loaded some chiptunes into an early Glowforge prototype…

11 Likes

Does @matt want to make some friends?!

That would certainly be a fun little Easter egg.

3 Likes

That would be… AWESOME!

Imagine, your Glowforge arrives with a pre-loaded “Sample Cut” on the web interface (for any first time log-in/registration). This is a nice simple Glowforge Logo coaster or something.

But… there is a chiptune “Duh duh da duh da da! Charge!” right before everything fires up…

3 Likes

I just dusted off an old makerbot cupcake I had sitting around and got it working again this morning. I was printing off a part and low and behold it started playing a pretty cool tune. I immediately thought of this thread!

2 Likes

that wouldn’t play in my browser, but it let me download and play on my desktop…

I really dig the seven-note bass-line as the head works it’s way around the ‘point’ of the heart from screen-right to screen-left. Might have to sample it if I ever get back around to playing with audio.:grin:

2 Likes

I have some old audio files I sampled a few years ago from this very machine. used them in some songs with my old band.

1 Like

I don’t think I’d make it past 10 seconds anyway. I’d already be in our basement, trying to find our old NES.

Am I the only one that had some serious flashbacks with that Super Mario song?

@Dan I’m putting in my request for the Zelda theme song. :smile:

I guess I’ll just leave this here:

10 Likes

That looks like a super complicated instrument Oo

If that isn’t already an old arcade tune, you need to make it one!

1 Like

Chris DiPrisco has a pretty good channel for building a vertical mill. Lots of machining. Here is a fiber laser singing.

6 Likes

One of the main things about Fiber lasers that makes me jealous is that you can do this. Since the singing is made by the ablation, you can make a nice image with a song. Not the most efficient cut speed for the given job, but that isn’t the point.

3 Likes