WHAT THE WHAT! PRODUCTION UNIT! :squee:

Still getting ready, and expecting needs to vent prior to receipt of filter. One more piece just about ready.

9 Likes

That looks way better than my hose hanging out the window. Nice!!

2 Likes

It should have a seal just from the amount of mesh width-wise between the inner and outer diameter. I can add a thin gasket if needed. Worst case, I still need to get a slider pet door to use with this, but since those are quite expensive, this is a good starting place.

2 Likes

And it is easily to remove.

Unless I’m missing something, venting through a screen seems less than productive.

4 Likes

The hose will go off the end of the deck. I don’t have a window to vent through, so was looking for a solution to allow me to vent outside without paying more than $120 for a sliding door adapter (if possible) and still keep the screen closed to keep the cats in.

(Without the cats, I might just run a hose from the :glowforge: out and off the deck with the slider and screen both open.)

2 Likes

I figured there was another length of hose involved but as shown it looked a bit less than effective. :wink:

2 Likes

That is just the connector to get through the screen. You might notice it is also missing a :glowforge:. That doesn’t stop me from getting ready.

4 Likes

Even if I have to use one of those sliding door adapters, I will probably use the MagVent, because I can put the sliding door insert behind my couch when not in use.

2 Likes

I made my own sliding door insert using about a 10" wide strip of MDF, cut to a height that allows it to slip into the door frame by first pushing the top up into the head/receiver of the frame then the bottom slides in, let go and it rests on the bottom. Then just close the sliding door against it. I haven’t bothered adding seals to make it air tight, havent had any fumes making their way back in around the insert so not worried about it now.

2 Likes

I might try that before going the pet door, but I have a small car, kinda tricky to have MDF fit my car and fit the slider.

I don’t see any problem there.

http://roadfail.altervista.org/old-man-carrying-long-pipe-with-his-car-in-brazil/

Nope, no problems at all there.

If I have to go to MDF, I might have to go to 2 pieces, one stacked on top of the other. That, I’m pretty sure, I could fit in my car. I can have a pet door delivered, though. (Not that the pets are allowed outside.)

I wonder if installing an electrical bathroom fan (or computer fan) in line with the exhaust hose would help pull the fumes out and away from my house. UP UP & AWAY

Elsewhere on the forum, I described in too much detail my experience installing a Fantech FR 125 at the end of my short duct run. It may have helped a little bit, but I’m not sure. It was a lot of work, so I want to believe that it was worthwhile, but I still get a (tolerable) smell and a measurable jump in indoor pollution levels when using the Glowforge. It’s quite possible that it’s exactly the same amount as before. At this point, I’ve made my peace with it and I’m willing to live with it, I just wish I could figure out exactly where it’s coming from. I hate mysteries.

2 Likes

Note better way put the 2 halfs together with magnets so you don’t have to cut your screen

1 Like

If I get time in the next week and remember I’ll design a connector in cad or solid works and post it

1 Like

As long as this thread has been reactivated, an update on my smell (hah): it was some of the foil tape that had come loose from the collar around the booster fan. It’s an annoying cone shape that’s hard to tape properly to, and it’s on a bracket that moves a bit, so the tape tends to pop off over time. I reinforced the bracket and replaced the regular foil tape with butyl “mastic” type (http://amzn.to/2yFriRX). It’s ridiculously sticky and conforms to the shape. Now, finally, I have no detectable leaks. I sometimes get a very faint whiff of what’s being cut if I stand in just the right spot, but it dissipates in a second or two. The smell comes almost entirely from the inside of the machine after cutting, and from residue on the pieces and masking. Mission accomplished, as far as I’m concerned.

9 Likes