WHAT THE WHAT! PRODUCTION UNIT! :squee:

According to previous conversation and confirmation from @dan, they are supposed to be coming signature delivery. I’d be letting the company know if they aren’t collecting signatures. That is a valid complaint against the courier, and UPS would want to know, too.

7 Likes

The Pre-Release was delivered by FedEx. The driver was getting ready to leave and I asked “shouldn’t I sign for the package”? He thought about it and said “probably”. So I signed.

9 Likes

If the PRU were shipped with declared value, or signature required, the scanner hardware would have forced them to acquire some kind of signature (yours or fake) to close the delivery. It really doesn’t have a third option.

1 Like

I wonder what the threshold is on why UPS, USPS or FedEx get signatures on some packages and not others. i.e. Everything that gets shipped from my office they come up to the door, ring the bell and wait. Every else get chucked 10~15ft from the door. Or shoved into the mailbox.

As for the PRU in my case. (FedEx) The first one came @ 8PM and the guy slung it over his shoulders and brought to the door. The second one was left at the end of the walkway to the house. Basically in the driveway. And it looked they dragged it that far (the box was scuffed on one side). At that point, it was still marked for delivery. And that status didn’t change for a couple hours.

Needless to say, the Glowforge is securely held in its box. So kudos to the team that worked on that.

8 Likes

They obviously have a method to overriding that. If you look at any one of the carriers (specifically the ones that shows the signature via their webpage) That field is usually filled with ‘LEFT AT: FRONTDOOR/PORCH’ or ‘LEFT AT: MAILBOX AT/IN’

4 Likes

I have a friend who is a supervisor for FedEx Ground (note that FedEx Express is almost a different company.) Their drivers are all contractors (whereas FedEx Express drivers are employees and UPS are employees plus teamsters IIRC.) He said that the driver can gamble on not getting a signature, but if the package is reported missing they pay for it.

4 Likes

Reasonably certain the work surface doesn’t have a twist. No, I haven’t checked with a straightedge, but if the Glowforge is sensitive enough to a non-visible twist on its supporting surface to throw the lid out of alignment there is a serious design flaw in the frame and feet and it should have adjustable single-point feet instead of the skids it sits on now.
I suspect that since the door attachment hardware is inside the door, there is no way to adjust the closed fit of the hinges and as stiff as the hinges are they contribute to the issue. The hardware is exposed from the inside so if it gets annoying I may get the wrench out to see if I can adjust it slightly.

1 Like

If I recall correctly, FedEx is $400.00 package content declared value, with the shipper able to select for less. You could, if you wanted to pay for it, have adult signature (ID over 21) for a dollar store box of tissues.

1 Like

FedEx is over $500 value, signature is required.

UPS as far as I know has no signature requirement at all unless the originator checks the box that signature is required at the time they fill out the label. I’ve received deliveries valued well into 5 figure values and they were dropped with no signature.

2 Likes

I understand what the fees are to get the service. My question was why does UPS, USPS or FedEx honor the signature required request on some packages but yet not on others.

Dan responded in the past few days that signature is required on all UPS deliveries of the GF. Some drivers are just ignoring that apparently

1 Like

While I agree I wouldn’t expect it to be big enough to stop the lid closing I do have an invisible twist in my work surface that I fixed by putting a business card under one corner of my 3D printer. I am levelling the nozzle to the bed with dial gauge, so can detect very small twists. Before the shim the bed appeared saddle shaped but putting a straight edge across the glass I knew it wasn’t.

I did make a design mistake in assuming work surfaces were flat and designed a 3D printer which stands on two skids. Unless the frame is massively stiff, anything as heavy as a GF will twist to conform to the surface. The alternative would be it rocking.

If you lift one corner slightly with a shim does it rock on the diagonally opposite corner or do the other three corners stay planted?

I don’t know what a slight twist in a laser cutter frame would have. It is probably a lot less sensitive than a 3D printer.

3 Likes

Old Engineering proverb: “Everything is made of rubber.”

8 Likes

They also ignore the “I signed the paper, please leave it anyway” form, which they apparently have driver discretion to do (I complained). Not related to the GF

6 Likes

I got a UPS notification for a signed for package today. Not a GF unfortunately! It seems to have an option to sign for it in advance, which I declined to do as it is expensive and I will be in anyway.

1 Like

sometimes packages can’t be left even if you sign that, though it’s supposed to be made obvious when you get the door tag

1 Like

Express is technically an entirely different company. In all cases, the driver can take the gamble, but a complaint can hurt, even without the item being missing.

The feet are actually not straight. One end of the skid sits higher than the rest of it. I am going to take pictures for the mothership tonight.

We’re investigating. Shipping is eternally interesting.

11 Likes

…interesting in that whole apocryphal “may you live in interesting times,” curse, i bet.

11 Likes