What to do with scrap

Yeah, I went through quite a gear stage a while back. :smile:

2 Likes

Like keyhole hangers?

1 Like

Exactly, sorry I could not think of the term. Yes, if you make anything decorative and potentaly wall hanging, go ahead and make a dozen or so sets and have them on hand.

4 Likes

That’s a great tip! I do plan to make things to be hung, so I will keep this in mind.

1 Like

Gears are great for make work, if you put them into the design you can make it work :slight_smile:

1 Like

And for Leather or anything flexible,there is this , it might work with 1 or 2 mm wood as well

though with the Glowforge and a high speed cut even very thin stuff left over can be used as pins to hold sliding parts from sliding

6 Likes

OMG! I must have one! :grinning:

1 Like

And now, there is only one left - whoever else wants it - better grab it. :smile:

1 Like

I had one and misplaced it so I may have two if the other shows up

1 Like

Even the small stuff can be used for dialing in settings and testing. I much prefer to test fit up and stuff on the actual material I intend to build with. Funny, because I spent a year gathering and cutting down cardboard… And have used maybe 3 pieces.
I have found those present name tags with names engraved on them are very nice gifts for neighbors and friends/acquaintances.

4 Likes

I got a new use…
I just made a mistake cut and showed it to The Boss. She’s an Etsy seller. Her reply to seeing my mistake: “If you make a second one, I can turn them into earrings!”

5 Likes

The laser is great for earrings. One needs to be the mirror of the other. In cast gold jewelry make two wax models. With a laser, it’s mirror the design in the software and push a button!

Now that I think of it, the ability to mirror a copy in the UI could be a handy feature.

5 Likes

When one has an Etsy shop, even the smallest scraps can be turned into useful stuff! Tags and other packaging, freebies, earrings, etc.

2 Likes

If you cut the end off a plastic soda or water bottle and run it through the lacemaker (being careful not to let it curve out) you can get a long run of very interesting “lacing” that is very strong and transparent, though hard to fasten and a bit sharp-edged, it begs for ideas to put it to use.

1 Like

Just got mine in…might have to perform a little surgery on a straw. (Good practice before tackling the leather too.) :smile:

2 Likes

The 2-liter soda bottles work best.

Don’t have any! :neutral_face: (Oh wait, we might have a small Gatorade bottle or two out in the garage fridge - might have to raid hub’s stash.)

2 Likes

You want them with smooth sides. Which is why soda bottles work best. if the contents are under pressure and usually store brands as straight sides are cheaper to produce.

“Smart Water” also comes in straight-sided containers, but you have to look. Some of the cheaper water bottles are extremely thin which is not all bad, and clear is usually better than green which the clear soda ususlly comes in (go figure)

Ahhh! Okay, next grocery run I’ll have to pick up a couple liters of something then drink it. (The suffering for my art!) ROFL! :wink:

1 Like

Even just one 2 liter bottle will produce tons of lacing, more than it will take you a while to use: that is of course unless you are doing this

1 Like