What to do with this accidential find solid maple strips

yessssss the clamped glue up photo. Very familiar with this phase. I’ve made several end grain cutting boards and they also look like this.

tiebond 3

2 Likes

2/3 ish of what’s needed now in planks will probably go over and help wen or thur with the rest of phase 1 glue up. These are still not the full width yet and still not enough of them

12 Likes

Wow. Lots of clamps. It is a long process but will be a real legacy piece.

1 Like

all milled and clean 5 sides trued ready for the next phase turning into full width planks 13 wide ones 7 narrow ones a full plank will be two wides and a narrow then that cut down to two 10invh planks then all super stacked

Reason for not gluing up the full 24 inches in width one shot is his plane is only 13 inch and we where concerned we would have enough clamp pressure doing close to 30 face glues at the same time

16 Likes

I’m so envious. All the YouTube Canadian lumber jockeys seem to have a limitless supply of maple. Hard maple isn’t too common in these parts. Will have to do some hickory.

1 Like

Brother started without me
with clamps each unit is 60lb

11 Likes

He didn’t want to wait till Thursday for me

14 Likes

You can never have too many clamps.

8 Likes

Whenever my wife asks what to buy her father, my brother, or me for Christmas/birthday, I always answer “If in doubt, buy clamps.”

10 Likes

That reminds me…I need to get a few more…don’t think the handful of sticky ones in the garage are gonna cut it.

2 Likes

This is the block’s final dimensions, it has not been glued up yet. we think it will be about 185LB

21 Likes

That is going to be too cool.

1 Like

This definitely is a legacy work. Nicely done.

1 Like

How the heck do you pick that thing up?

2 Likes

we are not sure how we are going to get it from the basement to upstairs. we know that its going to float in the stand that its going to be part of, so we are thinking just elbow grease it upstairs. and then bring up the stand afterword’s. we have only made up the legs for the stand so far they are basic legs just to stacks of 5 boards face glued and then edge glued to each other for 10 boards per leg. that will have a tray at the bottom and casters and then an apron above that will be probably 6 inch with 2 inch lip for the block to sit in and directly on top of the legs. its going to take 12 days to glue each layer on to the block. as there is no way we have enough pressure to conform all 13 planks at a single go. so one plank at a time so we can close any gaps. then we will sand the six sides of the block. buy ya we wont have much updates for this for a bit now.

You can see the legs before they where planned to square and cut to length on the router table (blue edge facing the camera). Thos have all been milled and brought to size now 22 long, and I can’t recall but something like a little less then 4x4 square…
Casters 4
Legs 22
Block 10
36 from floor to working surface. That’s a soft Est casters not yet sourceed and if we don’t like the 36 we could shorten the legs

Bonus. So the slabs we cut to 10.5 then re trued for dead flat and square and straight on each side so between the legs on the router table on the bottom layer there is 1/8 maple veneer’s that show the edge grain from when we took a 1/4 of each slab. There is 26 of them I believe… No clue what to do with them but they are such a rarity we where careful to not break them

11 Likes

Truly is awesome ! Will be in the family for many generations I’d imagine.

1 Like

I am really jealous of not being able to experience the smells and sounds of the entire process.

Going from being a carpenter into IT, has lost theses type of experiences.

2 Likes

Wow. Good luck lifting.

1 Like

And keep small pets away…it’s likely to have its own gravitational field.

5 Likes