What to put the Glowforge on?

Anyone know what happened to the GF-specific flatpack table hat someone here was looking at producing?

Because of space constraints I will probably be going with this from Lowe’s. It’s not my first choice, but I don’t quite have space for a more standard sized 41" cabinet where the GF is going, and I want it on a tool chest for the casters & drawers.

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-36-5-in-x-33-4-in-6-Drawer-Ball-bearing-Steel-Tool-Cabinet-Black/50175957

1 Like

This one?

2 Likes

Ah - no this one from @tom (I guess I could have searched earlier…)

https://community.glowforge.com/t/custom-built-glowforge-table/6052?source_topic_id=10440
4 Likes

this is my exact setup, minus gf!

1 Like

I bought this kit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0030T1BRE/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1502984313&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=2x4+Basics&dpPl=1&dpID=51IxjCHyB3L&ref=plSrch

Here’s what I’m using:

forgebench

It’s actually a TV stand/cart on casters. I first mentioned it here:

The reason I wanted such a low table is that when I put the filter under it, the height will be just what I want it to be (about 33"). I really didn’t want to have to stand on my tippy-toes to work in the machine if I put the whole thing on a table of standard height.

It’s working great at this height, even without the filter. I can sit in a chair and watch the laser, which is pretty nice.

5 Likes

That looks very cool, sort of like something out of Frankenstein’s lab. With a few Tesla Coils the good Doctor would be jealous.

2 Likes

This is a big factor in my considerations for what type of stand I get. It needs wheels, needs to be low enough for me (short person) to access easily once the filter comes … and also needs to be too tall to get smacked or knocked around by doggy tails.

2 Likes

Here when I next have a chance. I plan on building a two shelf rolling caddy. The top will have a footprint just barely oversized for the GF itself, then the shelf below will be mainly for material storage.

I might add a few bobbles like a drawer for GF specific tools or common items like a dedicated roll of masking tape, some sand paper, a set of files, glues, etc…

I was also looking at adding a fixture that will let me route the pipe from the vent without stressing the mounting point on GF itself. Though I would want to be able to remove that once the filter comes in.

Also, I plan on making it just a little short, that way the work height will make sense once the filter is in place. I would like

The last thing which is on the ‘would be nice’ list is the have a couple of pop-up shelves in the front and back which can support longer material in and out of the pass thru. Though this presents a couple of problems, so I am not sure it will make the final cut.

I also do not plan on spending more than a couple hours making this.

Just so long as he can reverse the polarity of the neutron flow.

2 Likes

Saw that at Costco – looks incredibly sturdy.

i’m way too cheap. i got two 2x4 pieces of ply and gorilla tapes them in a stack to the top of two filing cabinets. rock solid and it honestly looks better than i expected.

2 Likes

It is very sturdy, and VERY heavy. I got it to my house, and my dad helped me unload it into the house. But we had to take open the box and carry individual pieces into the basement, rather than do the whole thing in one trip. Even that was pretty heavy.

I’m glad it has wheels on it to move it around

2 Likes

How did the aquaponics experiment go, I been thinking about doing it myself, I came up with a plant holder design that can be cut with a laser. The only thing holding me back is the space needed, my research says that a self stabilizing system needs to be close to 3700 liters in volume and I don’t have the space yet.
D

I am building mine out of a modified Kmart clothing display I bought for $15. But maybe you can quickly get yourself one of these from IKEA. Some are adjustable!
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/workspaces/18962/

Almost there, Real work keeps getting in the way, I am hoping to have them by maker fair. I’ll keep you posted

3 Likes

Would you be so kind as to measure the interior dimensions of the ALEX drawers? They site just has exterior dimensions. I have a lot of 12" x 24" sheets for my cutting machine and if they’ll fit, that unit would be good for that plus GF stuff.

1 Like

I won’t be home until Saturday. Please remind me this weekend and I’ll measure it.

16.5" deep x 23.5 wide. Top three drawers are 2.5" tall, and the bottom three are 3.25" tall. Just since I happened to be staring at mine, thought I’d save you the task of trying to remember, @joe :blush:

9 Likes

Darn, 1/2" too narrow for my application! Thank you for checking.

2 Likes