What to put the Glowforge on?

My Glowforge Basic is arriving tomorrow!!! (I told the kids today “Happy Laser Eve”)

anyway, I was hoping to get some information from the collective wisdom of the community.

What sort of table are you putting the Glowforge on?

Thanks in advance,

Alan

20 Likes

Search on glowforge space if you have a lot of time to wade through a lot of ideas. Whatever it winds up being it’ll be big. I’ll be using a table I built years ago for an aquaponics experiment.

1 Like

I was hoping for more of a “I use xxx table from Harbor Freight/Lowe’s/Home Depot/Ikea” suggestion…

While I would love to build a special cabinet for it, it isn’t going to be done by this weekend.

3 Likes

I picked up this table from Costco last week:

https://www.costco.com/Whalen-72"--Metal-and-Wood-Workbench-.product.100318497.html

Mind you, I don’t yet have my GF, so I can’t tell you how well it works with it. It feels really solid and I like the size. It might be too tall once the GF is on it, but I’m a pretty tall guy. I like that I’ll have room next to the GF to take things out of it. I also like the shelf underneath, where I can stack my materials.

8 Likes

You may want to look at this thread as well.

5 Likes

Dan has said they just use Ikea tables around the glowforge offices. I’ve never been there, but I’m told you can mix and match some of the table tops and legs.

3 Likes

And if you re-consider a diy solution, look at this:

3 Likes

Basics:
Flat
Able to support at least 80 lbs.
No wobble (casters might be a problem if they don’t lock)

Beyond The Basics:
Draws to hold all your stuff
Shelves to hold all your stuff

2 Likes

I got this, but it’s overkill. I needed a new desk/workbench. Delivery guys weren’t too happy, it weighs close to 200lbs.

I also have this underneath it, great for material storage.

5 Likes

Things to consider: height of the table for comfort when opening the lid and loading and unloading the material.

Sound resonance: some tables might naturally amplify the harmonics of the Glowforge fans and other things, so an isolation mat and other things to dampen sound might be in order.

Wheels are a plus for flexibility but could be an issue if they aren’t locking casters. The movement of the head can be pretty strong at times.

Room for the exhaust hose out the back and ensure bottom is clear for ventilation. and then adaptable for a filter if that is going to be used.

Here’s a good discussion including reference to a Homeless Despot tool cabinet.

3 Likes

I am using a 40-year old steel office desk from the local university surplus. $15 was a steal for all that steel.
The Harbor Freight/Home Depot toolbox is lovely; but I like the 36" height of a standard office desk. I have kids, and their ability to participate is pretty great at that height.
Any desk or table that strong enough with a big enough footprint.

1 Like

Anyone know what happened to the GF-specific flatpack table hat someone here was looking at producing?

Because of space constraints I will probably be going with this from Lowe’s. It’s not my first choice, but I don’t quite have space for a more standard sized 41" cabinet where the GF is going, and I want it on a tool chest for the casters & drawers.

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-36-5-in-x-33-4-in-6-Drawer-Ball-bearing-Steel-Tool-Cabinet-Black/50175957

1 Like

This one?

2 Likes

Ah - no this one from @tom (I guess I could have searched earlier…)

https://community.glowforge.com/t/custom-built-glowforge-table/6052?source_topic_id=10440
4 Likes

this is my exact setup, minus gf!

1 Like

I bought this kit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0030T1BRE/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1502984313&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=2x4+Basics&dpPl=1&dpID=51IxjCHyB3L&ref=plSrch

Here’s what I’m using:

forgebench

It’s actually a TV stand/cart on casters. I first mentioned it here:

The reason I wanted such a low table is that when I put the filter under it, the height will be just what I want it to be (about 33"). I really didn’t want to have to stand on my tippy-toes to work in the machine if I put the whole thing on a table of standard height.

It’s working great at this height, even without the filter. I can sit in a chair and watch the laser, which is pretty nice.

5 Likes

That looks very cool, sort of like something out of Frankenstein’s lab. With a few Tesla Coils the good Doctor would be jealous.

2 Likes

This is a big factor in my considerations for what type of stand I get. It needs wheels, needs to be low enough for me (short person) to access easily once the filter comes … and also needs to be too tall to get smacked or knocked around by doggy tails.

2 Likes

Here when I next have a chance. I plan on building a two shelf rolling caddy. The top will have a footprint just barely oversized for the GF itself, then the shelf below will be mainly for material storage.

I might add a few bobbles like a drawer for GF specific tools or common items like a dedicated roll of masking tape, some sand paper, a set of files, glues, etc…

I was also looking at adding a fixture that will let me route the pipe from the vent without stressing the mounting point on GF itself. Though I would want to be able to remove that once the filter comes in.

Also, I plan on making it just a little short, that way the work height will make sense once the filter is in place. I would like

The last thing which is on the ‘would be nice’ list is the have a couple of pop-up shelves in the front and back which can support longer material in and out of the pass thru. Though this presents a couple of problems, so I am not sure it will make the final cut.

I also do not plan on spending more than a couple hours making this.