What type of tape to use

Hello, :smile: New Glowforge owner here. Was wondering what type of tape to use over
my projects? masking, painters tape? I will be using plywood to cut out monogram circle.
all advice welcomed.
Thanks, Lauren

1 Like

The term youā€™re looking for is ā€œmaskingā€, the forum has a ton of conversations about it if you search. Hereā€™s my favorite:

4 Likes

I prefer the Transfer Paper. Many brands and prices. This 300 foot roll goes a long long way, and I use it on acrylic, wood, leather, overspray protection (aka: about everything that needs a cover).

https://www.amazon.com/Paper-Application-Transfer-applying-graphics/dp/B078SYQFT6/ref=sr_1_3?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1526730103&sr=1-3&keywords=medium+masking+paper

Once caution. Blue Painter tape is worse, but even these transfer tapes will eventually ā€˜setā€™ (glue finally dries). Even the very old proofgrade stuff will have this problem.
Very hard to remove once it does set. It only takes a few minutes to mask on demand with raw resources.

DO NOT use that sticky brown package tape. At least the version I had, it was impossible to remove from wood.

2 Likes

Welcome!
Masking tape will workā€“until I bought some low-tack masking akin to the other links provided (pending your material, you may want low or medium tack), and for some jobs I used painters tape (both blue and the light brown). The tack is the most important, as you want it easy to removeā€“and I was doing this on some leather, so also tested how applying/removing it would affect the finish of the leatherā€“in most cases I donā€™t mask leather.

You donā€™t always need maskingā€“but best for materials you canā€™t clean easily afterwards. And little pieces of tape work great to remove soot from materials, tooā€“for some of my leather that just rinsing & scrub with old toothbrush doesnā€™t do the trick, I use masking tape to remove excess soot.

The nice thing with the type of masking linked by @brokendrum is there are also many options for width, as well as the tack/stickiness, available, pending your project.

But if you need multiple pieces to cover the area being etched/cut, donā€™t overlap pieces, but butt them against each other. Better to have a little gap than an overlap as the extra thickness will affect the consistency of the etch/cut.

Good luck!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.