What will be the first thing you make?

Remember that video where @dan first cut a stand for his phone so he could record the GF cutting? That’s probably going to be high on a lot of folks’ lists.

5 Likes

The Death Star

5 Likes

Toast. I’ll probably make that my “hello world” project.

I haven’t decided what to etch into the toast yet.

8 Likes

Perhaps a Swiss cheese pattern on rye?

5 Likes

That logo really is just begging to be laser cut.

1 Like

Not sure if this post is more appropriate here on in the The Unsexiest Thing I Am Going To Make With My Glowforge thread as it fits in both.

Like most of you, I see the world differently now that I have a laser engraver arriving soon. I look at how I can use a laser to fix every problem. My office/studio is above the garage. Some nights, like the last two nights and probably tonight, I let the vinyl printer/cutter run until 9 PM or so but I go into the house to relax. To make sure my wife doesn’t lock the garage when she gets home, I have a “sign” I made by writing “Printing in Progress” in black Sharpie on the back of an envelope which I hang on a nail near the door on the nights the printer is still running.

This discussion of first projects made me think I need to make something sturdier that will put the Glowforge through it’s paces. This simple door hanger design will test photo rastering and two-sided alignment. It’s nothing fancy in its own right but it’s much fancier than my scrawl on the back of an envelope.

15 Likes

Great solution.
There are a few contenders for first (after “Hello World”).
The doorbell unit cover in my fine home is as cheap as is made. Plastic cover about 7" x 4" and as tacky as it is cheap.
It cries out to me everytime I walk by it.

Thinking Proofgrade® black walnut, just need a creative spark for the engraving on it.

“I don’t know, but I’ll think of something, and when I do, it won’t stand a chance.”

9 Likes

Here is a link to a site that has digital vector files of World maps in several projections, U.S Continental map file and all 50 states. World map files include multiple central meridians, continent outlines, major lakes and countries. Continental U.S. map file includes thematic layers (outline, political boundaries, rivers, roads, railroads) all registered and organized hierarchically so you can design your own map. State files include multiple registered layers also organized hierarchically. These are very detailed map files.

Look at the pages that show the detail in the U.S. Continental file and state map files. Pretty amazing and all map layers are registered! Makes designing your own laser map easy. Lots of neat World projections too,

16 Likes

I have a friend that wants a world map. That site will really help to make that happen. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I am preparing several map projections for making sets of coasters. Here is an example from the general data. Will try and attach a photo, never done that here.

There are files included with even more detail when you download-purchase a specific projection.

10 Likes

Pretty amazing that they have specific editable laser/CNC files for all of that. Thanks for sharing the find. :+1: - Rich

2 Likes

Just drag and drop a photo into your post.

I am using Affinity Designer. It is FABULOUS. For the World Files, you do have to do a little processing, selecting parallels, meridians, etc then putting them in separate layers to set the line weights. Comes out great! Here is another map projection.

7 Likes

That is great! Thanks for sharing!!!

You know how the first pancake always goes in the trash bc the pan wasn’t hot enough or it stuck or your flipping technique was rusty? I’m fairly certain that’s how the first thing I make is going to go.

I’m just assuming that first pancake thing is universal. If it’s not, then I’m doubly sure that’s how my first glowforge attempt is going to go.

15 Likes

I’m still thinking that the Glowforge will ship with a design and the material ready to print, even if it is the carton media. I definitely will work on that matchbox.

7 Likes

I mentioned that my first cut will be a wooden book title on a nice notebook for my log
I said papyrus just for the running joke, but when you enlarge it, the edges are ragged so it will not do. My plan is to print “Glowforge Log” in large type in Word, import the image to Photoshop and find the edges, then vector cut around them in thin wood or even veneer with double sided tape on the back. Use the leftover from cutting them as a guide to position the individual letters and sticking them down.
Now the question for all you folks with aesthetic capabilities. I know that fonts bring out the obsessional trait in a lot of people, starting with Steve Jobs. OK… so recommend a font for me.

3 Likes

It would be neat if the button were customizable ( cut a circle of acrylic with a self made design) or even some sort or “name plate” that you could customize on the Forge. The silhouette cameo ( prior to the latest digital screen) had the ability to customize the background of the instrument panel. Pop off the plastic cover after you DLed the template and cut it out of whatever paper you wanted and put it in and pop the clear cover back on.

3 Likes

I would either use a simple sans serif font like Ariel or something close to the Glowforge font.

In the following thread, it was determined that Museo is the closest to the hand drawn Glowforge font.

On a technical note, you should be able to type directly in Photoshop rather than import text from Word (said the guy use hasn’t used Photoshop in 8+ years).

4 Likes

Yes, photoshop still has text tools. I was thinking the same thing, "why the extra step?"
But , @cassonh if you are happy with your Word to Photoshop workflow, don’t change a thing. It will work.

5 Likes