What will be your first real project?

Well, that also depends on which shape you choose to make your coasters. If you make them circular, then yes, a holder is fairly difficult (rounded walls are always a challenge to do right. But if you make your coasters with flat sides, it makes a holder much easier to do.

2 Likes

I love that there is such variety of ideas in here. The Glowforge is such a versatile tool!

3 Likes

Oh… Nothing so difficult. My first attempt will be my round coasters in a square box where 2 sides of the box will have design and the other two will have a slot down the middle so you can remove a coaster. Like this:

|‘’‘’|

|,|

Absolutely nothing special… unless you’re me and have never made a simple box before with finger joints (or any joints for that matter).

3 Likes

We’re going to rethink this design for the Firefly Board Game. 3D Printing works well for the small pieces which replace the flat cardboard stock ones, but 3d printing the base they fit into isn’t very effective and takes forever. Instead I can imagine a laser cut base with 3d printed entourage to start to make a true 3D cargo bay so the game starts to feel more Firefly-ish.

If anyone wants the pieces, they’re here: Thingiverse - Digital Designs for Physical Objects

17 Likes

You can make a triangular holder for round items too. The coaster holder police won’t bust you

2 Likes

I had this simple idea saved in my idea files.

20 Likes

Finally got the game last year. Still haven’t played. I’m guessing it’s fun?

1 Like

Very nice. I have got to get my first F360 box done. My thinking is, once I do a box, I can do anything.

3 Likes

My wife and I love it. It really has the thematic elements down. It can get frustrating with only two people. It also takes up an enormous amount of table space which is why I started designing card holders and such.

If I was still in PA id suggest a game night but we moved away a few years back.

2 Likes

That’s cool. And glad you said that about 2 players. We’ve been talking about playing with my Sister and Brother-In-Law since they’re fans. We’ve given it some thought and a The Revivalists channel on Pandora would make a great soundtrack to playing the game we think. Something about their style lends itself to the Firefly universe.

3 Likes

We like to put on the soundtrack. :smiley: Let us know how it goes!

OOoooh I LIKE that. I was definitely thinking Horizontal storage, but vertical storage is quite intriguing. You might have just made me scrap my idea and make me design something else instead.

I’m thinking the same thing. I want to get my first tabbed F360 box done and out of the way. Then I feel like I can use that box to be the basis of SO many other things. (stretch one dimension and make small shelves, twist another dimension to make something completely different, rotate the whole thing, add stuff and bam! something different)

That’s the other option, of course. :wink:
If we like the game (the “if” was a joke, I’m sure), maybe I’ll create a Firefly playlist specifically for playing.

1 Like

My first projects will revolve around the vacation rental that we own. A holder for the croquet set, a wall-mounted holder for the ping pong paddles/balls, custom coasters and a piece of wall art inspired by the house exterior. Can’t wait to make these ideas real!!!

2 Likes

Careful, then! Don’t make them too nice! :wink:

1 Like

Newbie here! After the ruler and doing test cuts, probably a cell holder stand with my logo :grinning:

Because I like to watch videos and no way to prop my phone

2 Likes

That’s the beauty of the GF. I made some cool cork coasters using vinyl masks from my Curio and they took about 45min each. Last time we were there someone had broken 3 of the 6. But with the GF, they can replaced in no time at all!

2 Likes

That design for your card deck is sweet! What am I gonna make first is the question that’s been on my brain for MONTHS, and with a estimated delivery date of tomorrow the answer is becoming even more pressing. I’m not sure what will be first, but I’ve kept my GF a secret from my brother & dad the entire time, so at some point right off the bat I know I’m going to make a Zelda themed something (triforce perhaps) for my bro & a snoopy something for my dad. After that, I’m just hoping to open the floodgates and anything is fair game!

6 Likes