What would you buy in a shopping spree?

Oprah awards you a shopping spree to your favorite art/craft store. In one hour, what do you fling in your cart to put in your laser workshop?

Note: this is more or less actually happening in my area, via corporate liquidation rather than Oprah’s benevolence. So it’s not exactly a spree, but close enough. I’m building a workshop from scratch, so I find this situation wonderful but overwhelming!

2 Likes

I mean I’d buy things that I normally think are too expensive, as in “things I don’t really need but would like”.

Lots of paints and inks fall in that category.

4 Likes

That sound like a dream. Not sure I’d focus on Glowforge stuff unless they have a lot of wood that’s laser friendly. I think I’d agree with @evansd2, really good pens, markers, inks, and paints. And also adhesives. Maybe a bunch of frames. Jewelry findings. Beads.

And this is why my office/studio looks like a war zone. I love ALL the things.

7 Likes

I’d want to make sure all the “ask for assistance” glass cases were unlocked before they started the timer!

5 Likes

I could do SERIOUS damage in an hour. They’d be wise to give me about 10 minutes.

5 Likes

Laser Workshop?

Wood glue.
CA. (Lots of CA.)
Syringe Tip Glue bottles.
Gluing Mat
Wood blanks - thin, up to 2" thick.
Heavy chipboard. (0.1" thick)
Cardstock. (Smooth, heavy stuff)
Matboard. (Used in framing.)
Fun Foam sheets.
Sharpie markers - all colors.
Storage Containers for scraps.
Frames (wood)
Wood boxes with removable lids.
Waxed thread. (For leather working)
Leather needles.
Stitching Pony. (if available)
Fittings for small boxes: (hinges, handles, decorative studs all 3mm or so)
Sandpaper. (Coarse grit)
Sanding sticks.
Clear coat, spray varnishes, matte and gloss. Can of shellac.

And if they have small woodcraft tools -

1/8" chisel
1/4" chisel
Files, rasps and rifflers
Large Heavy Duty Self Healing Cutting mat (They’re a necessity for cutting down materials.)
Box cutter.
Sprue cutter or heavy wire pliers.

And if you can get all of that in the cart in an hour, you’re doing great! :smile:

9 Likes

All the color. All the brushes and sponges.

4 Likes

shoot, if I had a whole hour I would need a dozen carts at least.

nah, the whole case is going the cart.

7 Likes

Which pens, markers, inks and paints are on your wish list? Ones that go well with laserables? Pretty much anything?

Sharpies, Chameleons, airbrushing paints, maybe some of the Golden acrylic mediums.

Prismacolor pencils

Mod Podge hardcoat. Resin. (not colored, but I just thought of those)

1 Like

Ditto as above–but more focus on big stuff: slat walls, a good work bench or storage racks… and then tools. Olfa rotary cutter blades (best blades around) and other craft knives, brushes, pigment pens, dyes, adhesives, storage bins…

1 Like

I would try to get some silicone molding goop to make copies of some things. I have too much stuff that I haven’t used anyway so I am fasting from materials, tools, and other shop stuff. But enjoy it! @Jules has my list almost perfect!

2 Likes

Supposedly you can make that by mixing cornstarch and silicone. Or something like that. Check Pinterest. :wink:

2 Likes

Anything to do with storage and organization also. All colors of paints, Prisma colored pencils and many things already mentioned.

1 Like

Gluing mat?! I always grab a sheet of cardboard … Ok, put on my list!

2 Likes

It’s one of those things that you never thought you needed until you get one. (Then you find yourself using it all the time.)

1 Like

What is a gluing mat? Not sure I’ve ever seen one unless it’s called something else. I have a great Teflon Mat that would probably be good for gluing. Never tried it.

I’m not sure if it’s original purpose was gluing, but that’s what I use it for…it’s a thin blue rubber…you can roll it up. Glue doesn’t stick to it. (Might have been a parts or screw mat of some kind.)

IMG_5785

3 Likes

Which paints? I have nothing and no clue where to start!

I bought a lot of acrylic paints in the little bottles. Not at home this weekend, but … Think they’re 2oz. Also, Posca markers after @geek2nurse posted some awesome projects.

1 Like