What's your favorite edge treatment for plywood?

So, I’m making some ornaments that involve a couple of layers of plywood. The edge isn’t very attractive (top).

Best I’ve been able to come up with, using materials on hand, is sanding + colored pencil + water-based polyurethane (bottom). Anyone else have a good trick?

I suppose simply sanding and painting it would give a good result, but I don’t trust myself to avoid getting paint on the face.

7 Likes

If you’ve got any felt, or other thin but absorbant fabric you can drop your paint under that, and roll the edge on the top - and as it seeps through you get an even, neat, coating.

Personally I sand and seal with tung oil, but I don’t think the layers are unattractive!

12 Likes

Rub ‘n’ Buff is amazing.

14 Likes

Occasionally, depending on the project I take a felt tip furniture touch up marker of approximately the same shade as the cut edge and rub it along. It slightly darkens it and evens it out. Markers are basically just alcohol ink.

7 Likes

If I have a lot of edges to paint I like to use a leather edge dye roller

If just a couple items I like a cotton swab or paint marker.

10 Likes

I am not sure how well it would work there but, presumably you are aware of iron-on edge banding and, don’t have any on-hand (or it’s too much hassle).

I used edge banding for this project:

I have been known to color edges of smaller plywood things with a Sharpie or paint pen (e.g., Uni Posca). The metallic sharpies can be particularly nice for things like ornaments. Much easier to avoid getting it on the other surfaces than applying something by brush.

+1 for @geek2nurse ’s suggestion. You can wrap a piece of shop/paper towel around the end of a finger and apply with that.

5 Likes

Well, of course there’s always ribbon. Available in thousands of styles, colors and materials.

4 Likes

Hmm, ribbon’s a creative idea!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.