Arrow of Light Plaque Shelf

One of my fictive nephews recently earned the Arrow of Light award. He wanted some sort of a plaque to hang in his room, ideally incorporating some sort of shelf for displaying other awards. Nothing they could find ready-made was quite what he and his parents were after.

I whipped up a design for a layered plywood construction in Inkscape. Realizing I should probably get approval before proceeding, I also did a quick visualization in Fusion 360.

The back panel is 3 layers of 1/4” Baltic birch plywood, attached with wood glue. The main design is cut through the front layer with some additional details engraved in the corners. The back layer has cut outs for the mounting hardware so that it can hang flush against a wall.

The actual arrow will be added separately.

The shelf and support brackets are two layers of 1/4” Baltic Birch ply, connected with wood glue.

I had intended to make a mechanical connection between the bottom layer of the shelf and the plaque with counter-sunk wood screws, with the second layer of the shelf glued over them. Unfortunately, of the three sets of countersink bits I own, none seem to be anywhere reasonable. My guess, though, is that the wood glue is likely sufficient.

I really haven’t done a lot of woodworking and, I am sure this could be better. Glue squeeze-out seems to be a problem with this sort of thing, leaving residue that I cannot always remove with sanding. This was also my first ever adventure with edge banding.

Still, these things seem to trend a little rustic and, I think it came out decent.

They want to stain it themselves. So, I left it unfinished.

Visualization:

Photos of finished project:

A few more images and similar write-up on my Evermore Studio studio blog.

The design files are in the Free Files section, if you want to make one.

26 Likes

If you seal between the layers, you could fill in the name or the pattern with colored epoxy. @whengeekscraft have a great guide for this.

4 Likes

Sounds like a fun variant. Post a pic if you try it!

1 Like

Really Beautiful! I take it your nephew is a Cub Scout (Webelos)?

1 Like

My understanding is that he just graduated to the local Scouts BSA troop.

2 Likes

Very nice!!

3 Likes

Such a clean and stylish design, he will love it!

4 Likes

I thought as much. I ‘bridged’ over to Boy Scouts as a Webelo myself. Back when dinosaurs ruled the Earth… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Wow, your final piece came out just as perfect as the rendering!

3 Likes

That looks great!

2 Likes

Nice design! He is sure to love it.

4 Likes

Looks great! I hope they send you a pic after they’ve stained it and you share it. And thank you for sharing your file in the Free Files section. That is very nice of you.

4 Likes

Looks really nice. The banding really kicks it up a notch. Well done!

1 Like