What's your Favorite shop tool?

I never realized how many Jewish holidays there were throughout the year until I started shopping at B&H. The owners are very orthodox and observe all the holidays, even shutting down sales on their website.

Keep it as a momento? Give it to a small child to play pretend with it? Paint it and call it art? Paint a face on it and call it “Art”? :slight_smile: A google search revealed some for sale for $30-$40. Hang on to it for a Glowforge target practice?

8 Likes

As @mpipes pointed out, the body is only worth $30-40ish. I’m not sure what the technical back might be worth. Try take it to a camera store and see if they’ll give you an estimate. You can always just do eBay or see if one of the local high schools has a photography club too.

1 Like

Thanks guys.:+1:

2 Likes

make it part of a retro camera display naturally :smiley:

3 Likes

Or, just use it… you might need to build a darkroom to process the film since Im not sure if retail places are doing that anymore. :slight_smile: Funny how that hobby went full circle, huh?

3 Likes

most places do it via mail order these days i find so may as well cut out the middleman and do the same

2 Likes

I had a canon rebel that I loved. 7 years ago I had a neighbor that wanted to become a photographer, so I gave her my camera to give her a leg up.
A year later she didn’t appear to be a photographer, and I asked if I could buy it back. She had sold it to a pawn shop.
My husband likes analog photography and developing his own…
I don’t know anything about your model; but a google search may result in a PM discussion.

1 Like

With digital, image manipulation and auto upload are main attractions for me, so I haven’t used it in many years.
Just about to finish scanning years of pics to get them out of a box on the closet shelf into the daylight where they can be enjoyed. :sunglasses:
I wasn’t sure anyone still used film, but it would be great if someone had a use for it!
Perfect condition with a Cannon 35-105mm AF zoom lens. If there is any interest in it feel free to contact me:+1:

1 Like

I had to accept that I am old when I put a camera on display as a relic that I had bought new as an adult.

6 Likes

I have a pile of old cameras, both still and motion, that are no longer worth much on the market, but which still function perfectly. Some of them were pretty darned expensive, especially the 3-chip production video cameras, but no one is particularly interested in ‘SD’ or ‘HD’ now that 4K has gotten so cheap (relatively, anyway)

3 Likes

Yes, many things in my life (including me) are antique now. :hushed:

1 Like

the allure of film for him is definitely artistic uses and not documentary purposes
It’s hobby time and enjoying a stinky dark room, when he has time.
For actual life, we are all digital.
Since I gave up my camera he hasn’t had any stinky darkroom opportunities.

1 Like

Development is an aspect of creative photography I never explored, but I know enough of it to appreciate the creative possibilities.

2 Likes

I was always a drop it off guy but I’ve known several chrome photographers that have had to do some major rethinking of things to get similar effects as they got in the darkroom.

1 Like

I’ve never gotten into developing photos either, but went nuts once I got hold of Photoshop.

Have to say I’ve had a fascination with cameras nearly my whole life… not necessarily the resulting photography, but the mechanics of the cameras themselves. LOL. At age 5 I would go to neighborhood garage sales and bring home any camera I could find! At age 10, I got my first (film) SLR as a Christmas gift - a Minolta Maxxum 3000i. I was in heaven, that camera is still kicking around somewhere, I think it’s at my dad’s house.

Amazing to think that was 30 years ago, and I’m still into it. But, I’m still only 40yrs old so theres still plenty of time to go back to developing film. Although right now, I dont have the room for another hobby. LOL. I had three uncles and a grandfather that were all into photography and I’m sure having that exposure (har-har) really fueled my interest in it too. Every family get-together, there were cameras everywhere! It was like living with paparazzi. :smiley:

4 Likes

When I was a kid my dad was heavy into photography and did his own developing. To this day, and likely for the rest of my life, I will always remember the smell of those chemicals. I can’t even say it’s a bad smell. Just very… unforgettable.

7 Likes

I was always impressed by the way time vanished in the darkroom. Go in to do a few prints, and suddenly it’s 12 hours later.

8 Likes

You’ll find the laser is similar. I am always over the time I thought I would spend lasering. Drives my wife nuts :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@thomas.alessi.jr
Time to look at Fujifilm :wink:

Ha! Had one when I was a kid! It used some sort of disc as film I recall.