When life gives you lemons, make lemonade

The implications of this saying are that of optimism. If we look at the origins of the lemon itself however we will find that the lemon was not always a lemon. It is a genetic cross breed of a bitter orange and Citron…so we have severely underestimated the importanceand meaning of such a saying and all the things leading to it. I’m not sure how to explain why I feel the importance of this relates to the recent announcement but I feel that some may be able to relate. I myself design/fabricate things on a daily basis for my customers so I can absolutely relate to Dan and the Glowforge team in how they are feeling right now. Dissapointment is too strong a word to use for what I’m feeling right now as a customer but I am mildly affected none the less. That will not change my decision to wait for my Glowforge. Today’s day in age and technology we are often blinded by the promise of instant satisfaction. We are pummeled with anything and everything we could ever want, from every direction and each and every prospect seems better than the last. It’s truly amazing to me that literally anything I could ever think of I could have on my doorstep within a few days. It would seem however that this has become the new standard of quality. Not the actual quality and longevity of said product but how fast and cheap I can get it. This does not bode well for the end user in the long run and while most products purchased are not as expensive as a Glowforge it is still a waste of time, money and resources when it fails or does not do what it was intended for. I once again congratulate and appreciate Dan and the team for full disclosure and their goal. With the risk of losing potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars in returns there has been a community discussion and agreement to hold off delivery for a few more months in hopes of delivering a perfect product. Thank you.

27 Likes

So wise…thanks for taking the time to post it. :relaxed:

4 Likes

I think I figured out what the lemon has to do with Glowforge. Lemons were not always lemons. They were 2 seperate things the orange(glowforge) and the Citron(customers). Through an idea, gardening neglegence, nature or some other force these 2 plants found themselves together and formed a bond. Over many life cycles and years the bond grew stronger and they became one making something all together new and amazing. Much like the Citron and bitter orange; this Kickstarter, Glowforge and customers have a relationship. More than that we supported an idea. DAN the LEMON…haha. In life it’s not about the destination, it’s about the journey. As hard and as frusterating as the journey can be sometimes that’s what makes the destination more enjoyable.

4 Likes

I’m not disagreeing in any way, just any time lemons :lemon: are mentioned, this plays in my head. I am not suggesting that this video should be a lifestyle model, it just makes me laugh.

9 Likes

All of the love…

1 Like

Everything reminds me of something. Usually it’s too out there or embarrassing to comment on. I figured this was mainstream enough.

3 Likes

Lol, I’d be committed.

When life gives me lemons - I squirt them in Life’s eye and run away laughing maniacally !!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11 Likes

When life gives you lemons, hey, free lemons!

When life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

9 Likes

One of my favorite “Cave Johnson” quotes from Portal 2:

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

8 Likes

When life gives you lemons…

sometimes you don’t know what the heck to do with them.

14 Likes

@Jules I have seen lemons that size from the neighbor’s tree here in Arizona, WOWZA! is all I can say. I have not had the chance to open one up and see how they taste though ( I like lemons mmmmmm)

2 Likes

Just like the little ones…sour. But they have a thicker skin and the flesh is tougher. :wink:

5 Likes

What are the other types of lemons that are about that size but actually have a sweet flavor to them?

Meyers are a lot milder. (Not nearly that large tho.)

4 Likes

those are called oranges. :smiley:

3 Likes

I would be tempted to leave them in the grapefruit bin at the grocery store.

10 Likes

Laughing so hard I can’t even type…:laughing:

2 Likes

Pure evil.

I like you.

6 Likes

Time pirates or buckaroo banzai :grin: