When to use 1/8” and 1/4” Baltic Birch?

I am brand new to Glowforge (just ordered today), and have been researching materials to buy. If I want to cut things like words, ornaments, boxes, wall art - is it better to get 1/8” or 1/4”? Any tips for when to use one card the other would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I stick with 1/8" unless it’s something that needs a lot more structural support, such as a printer stand, etc. The 1/4" is more trouble to cut (I use 3 passes to avoid over-charring it), so I only resort to it when absolutely necessary.

11 Likes

That’s mostly an aesthetic decision - do you like the look of thin things or thick things?

1/8” is less expensive if cost is a concern.

3 Likes

That’s good to know. Cutting Speed will definitely be a factor I want to consider. Thank you

1 Like

Cost isn’t the primary factor I am worried about. I’m more concerned about how fragile the finished project will be.

1 Like

I know you gave some examples but there’s no one answer, it would depend on precisely what you’re making.

Words? For what? Hanging on a wall? Cake-toppers?
Boxes? How big? Used for what?
Wall art - indoor? Outdoor?

I will say that in 4 years I’ve cut very, very little 1/4". It’s a royal pain to deal with.

7 Likes

I have only had my GF for a little over a year and I love the 1/8inch. I always have trouble cutting through the 1/4 inch with one pass, then have char issues, etc., so, my go to is 1/8 inch. And, many of the patterns you ‘purchase’ are 1/8 inch…(many have patterns for both though)

2 Likes

They’re both pretty sturdy for the things you’ve described.

3 Likes

For the ¼ inch projects there are ply woods called light laser ply that is a lot easier to cut. I use poplar, but I think it comes in birch, too. It could be worth taking some time to see if you can find it. I am in the EU so my source won’t likely help you. GF has a light ply, but it is not in that thickness. Like I said, worth a look. It cuts easy and sometimes ¼ inch is what the project needs to make it great.

1 Like

`

Thank you! That is good to know. Wall art max size would be the size of a sheet of proof grade. Boxes - no bigger than a small gift box - maybe 6” Max dimension per side

1 Like

Thanks! I will look into that. What type of projects do you use 1/4” for?

2 Likes

1/8"/“medium” would be fine for those.

1 Like

I make phone stands, bird houses, displays. It is not wholly necessary, but sometimes it just looks nice and more substantial with the ¼ inch.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.