Where can I find a list of settings to engrave laptops? At the very least recommended setting for engraving a Lenovo ThinkPad laptop?

Where can I find a list of settings to engrave laptops? At the very least recommended setting for engraving a Lenovo ThinkPad laptop? Any help would be appreciated.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum. There are settings for some Apple products, but I don’t think there are recommended settings for the ThinkPad.

1 Like

If the Thinkpad is plastic, not anodized Aluminum like a Mac, depending on what the plastic is you might be able to engrave it, but you might just melt it. Hard to say what to use for settings for plastic. If it’s anodized Aluminum, it’s no big deal. What works for a MacBook will work for anything else that’s anodized. But it’s almost impossible to do it wrong. Either it doesn’t engrave because power is too low and/or speed is too high, or it’ll come out fine. You can’t over engrave anodized Aluminum because the laser can only remove the anodization, it can’t touch the metal itself. Excess energy just scatters off once the anodized layer is gone.

2 Likes

Just remember if there’s any plastic part to the aluminum (like the apple lit logo), you will want to avoid lasering over that!!

Thinkpad cases are made from either “carbon-fiber reinforced plastic” or “fiberglass and plastic” according to Lenovo. Either way, you are more likely to make a melty mess than a crisp engrave. If the “plastic” used has any chlorine compounds (as in PVC), the fumes will corrode and destroy your GF’s electronics in short order.

Rather than deal with these significant issues, I decorated my T490 with wood veneer engraved and cut with my GF.

9 Likes

I was starting to look at that option. It would be nice to keep changing out cases since I like doing differt types of artwork any. Thanks for the idea.

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.