Where can I find the user Manual

All it needs is a very simple description of what each mode does, how it interprets files and how focusing works. There is endless confusion in these forums about these, even from experienced users.

It only needs to be a few pages, not 300.

2 Likes

Maybe we’ll have to write our own manual.

25 Likes

love the self-portrait

5 Likes

Oh, you mean the workflow tutorials in the Tips and Tricks section of this forum? :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Thank you! I now know one person has read them. My life is complete! :smile:

12 Likes

In the May '17 update Dan did allude to ‘detailed instructions that will ship out with your Glowforge’. But haven’t seen any other reference since.

2 Likes

regrettably it seems like that ship has sailed

But, like the unfinished bits of software, I have no doubt it will appear in due time.

They may be sending instructions via email at the time of shipment, like they did with the PRU’s.

Did he just stick his left hand in the laser?

5 Likes

Ha ive done that a couple times. I had about the same reaction…

1 Like

sure, me too, but this really should have shipped with the production lasers.

my comment was based on the fact that we have production lasers in users’ hands and it seems like this is still not a thing. i’m not particularly worried about it; i have some experience with these devices, but it does seem like an oversight.

Heh. I didn’t even look at the manual we got back in Dec. for the PRU. (Sorry @Rita & @dan)

3 Likes

There was a line in my original email that asked me to confirm with a reply that I had read a specific instruction. Not kidding.

6 Likes

Mine too. And the manual for how to use the machine for the PRU unit that I saw was about 20+ pages longer than the manual that got posted on the nets recently.

What got removed was the “How To” information that everyone is looking for. I’m going to bet they just decided to set up a separate training section with the materials from that in it. Probably to be maintained online instead of included with the user manual.

Because that kind of information is not really something that is Glowforge’s responsibility. So they shouldn’t include it in a user manual…it is design related. Has nothing to do with operating the machine…

It’s a fine line to walk…if they talk about it, they will have to take responsibility for answering questions about it…and they don’t have the manpower for that.

So I’m gonna bet it winds up in a separate section. (Just my take on it.)

Based on what I saw in that though, I put together the Laser Design Basics tutorial and the Workflow tutorials. So if you’d like a heads up…you can go read those for now.

4 Likes

The stuff that is missing is not how to design. It is what the machine does with different inputs and how it focuses, etc. Scattered about these forums are things like if you have a vector file it defaults to cut unless it is filled, in that case it defaults to engrave but you can force it to cut and it then ignores the fill. And when it engraves from raster it has as different power scale to engraving from vector.

And people are discussing what sets the focus. Ie. the material thickness seems to set the camera and not the focus, etc.

Stuff like this, which just needs a few pages of user manual to describe what the machine does.

Not much to ask for the most expensive piece of equipment I will own.

5 Likes

I have to wonder if GF thinks these critical details will give them a business advantage if they don’t tip their hand?

1 Like

You really need to get a life :smile:

1 Like

NSS.
(In case you were wondering…No **** Sherlock!) :smile:

2 Likes

Must how been a tough week for you. You be feisty!!:smiling_imp:

3 Likes