Where can I get Flexible plywood and which one is the best?

I was looking at this project to do Flexible / Living Hinge Laser Cut Files SVG DXF DWG Ai | Etsy

Thank you where would get that?

In the link you posted just above. :slight_smile: Living hinges are made by making multiple parallel cuts in the material.

2 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

Also, moving this to Everything Else, because Made on a Glowforge is for posting photos of what you’ve made.

4 Likes

Thank you for your help.

1 Like

You can cut those patterns on any of the Proofgrade plywoods or good quality 1/8" Baltic Birch (and other materials like acrylic). 1/4" can work if the pattern is large enough. Depending on the exact pattern and how much you want to bend you may have to orient the grain a specific way for best results or soften the wood with water to keep it from breaking.

3 Likes

I did these in 1/8 basswood soaked in hand sanitizer as that dried faster than water and soaked in faster. The wood is 6" so the diameter is about 2".

3 Likes

Depending on which pattern I have used 1/4 successfully. Those patterns are originally free online if you search the Web from an older lasering article I believe…

3 Likes

Thank you I will look.

That is beautiful thank you for sharing.

Here is a test file to try out on.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum. Prepare yourself for hours of fun (and some frustration, but don’t give up because we have all been there too). Feel safe to ask for help and be sure to also search the archives for tons of information, ideas and community support. I promise if you just be patient when you get flustered, that you will soon be creating things you never imagined and might even find yourself going down a few rabbit holes of discovery.

3 Likes

Just a hint but plywood is, by design, meant to be less flexible than plain wood.

You can buy sheets of “veneer” at woodworking stores that are far more pliable than any kind of plywood.

2 Likes

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing…perfect for a newbie like me. :slight_smile: Lots to learn! LOL

2 Likes

Thank you so much I am so excited that I have been having a lot of sleepless nights of what I am going to do. I will make sure I ask plenty of questions thank you again. :grinning:

1 Like

You are most welcome. I have joined many forums and this is hands down the best one I have ever been on. The collective knowledge and experience is mind boggling and they teach me something new every day.

4 Likes

Thank you so much.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.